Announcing the release of 'Mash Made Easy' (MME) version 11.30, with a major bug fix!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Mash Made Easy version 11.30 is now available for download on my website in both USA and fully Metric editions.

Change since version 11.20 (and earlier, potentially extending backwards all the way to version 10.00):
Major fix correcting the internally computed BC (Buffering Capacity) for specifically (and exclusively) 'Caramel/Crystal' malts, which greatly increases their 'Malt Acidity'.

With all due apology for missing this serious problem earlier, this is a major bug fix release, and everyone is most strongly encouraged to transition from earlier versions to this version. Prior to this fix 'Caramel/Crystal' malts were not inheriting the intended acidity level series assigned to them.

OP
OP
Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money

Reaction score
Of course, when looked at from the perspective of most recipes containing 10% or less of their overall aggregate grist weight as 'Caramel/Crystal' class malt(s) the actual degree of the error (corrected in version 11.30) is much less than for the test bed numbers I was looking at showing what the difference is for a grist comprised of 100% 'Caramel/Crystal' malt. So in the "real world" of recipes it's not as devastating or huge of an output error as I had initially fathomed by any means, but either way it was still a major bug that needed to be fixed (and of course should never have happened to begin with).

OP
OP
Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money

Reaction score
More specifics on the (now corrected) MME error involving exclusively 'Caramel/Crystal' malts:

Before the fix instituted within version 11.30, Caramel/Crystal malts were picking up BC's computed for standard (Not Categorized) malts by malt color, and thus they were being assigned somewhat lower acidity values than would be appropriate for the Caramel/Crystal class of malts.

When the Caramel/Crystal class of malts is held at a maximum of 10% of the grist (by weight) the magnitude of the induced pH error is (or was) most typically confined to the "hundredth place" of the reported pre-adjustment grist pH. And of course, at less than 10% of the grist the error was proportionally less, and at 0% it was non-existent.

Th problem/error appears to have first arrived on the scene when I changed the grist classification "drop down" that read "Crystal/Carapils" to one which (as for current editions) reads "Caramel/Crystal".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money

Reaction score
is roasted malts as brown and black malt to be added as "not categorized"?

Yes! The internal algorithm combines "Not Categorized" with these malts "Colors" and then knows how to handle them accordingly with regard to assigning characteristics such as pHDI, Buffering, and Malt Acidity.

OP
OP
Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money

Reaction score
Yes! The internal algorithm combines "Not Categorized" with these malts "Colors" and then knows how to handle them accordingly with regard to assigning characteristics such as pHDI, Buffering, and Malt Acidity.

I was pondering an analogy here, and if you are familiar with Stellar Evolution (Astronomy), an analogy can be drawn between MME's "Not Categorized" and the Stellar "Main Sequence". It is only those malts/adjuncts/etc... that do not line up along the main sequence that must receive "other than main sequence" definitions whereby MME can assign proper pHDI's, Buffering, and Malt Acidities.

OP
OP
Silver_Is_Money

Silver_Is_Money

Reaction score
If you are experiencing artifacts of "grid lines" within the "Water" sheet/tab for MME 11.30, download it again, as I have applied a fix. This is a minor cosmetic issue only, and I did not assign a new version number to this trivial fix.

Alternately, enter the 'Water' sheet, then turn off grid line viewing while you are within that sheet, and then return to the main sheet and hit "save". The saved version will now no longer exhibit the mildly annoying grid line artifacts.