anniversary mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
My friend just got married, and I couldn't go to the wedding, so I decided to brew up some mead for him while I was building some beer. Well one thing lead to another and I RDWHAHBed a bit too much. Long story short I threw just about everything I could think of I to his mead.
here is what I remember throwing in:
1.5# honey
1 pint fresh blueberries, puréed
Some amount of molasses
Some cocoa powder
Some brown sugar
Love

As for yeast, I pitched a portion of kolsch yeast from my brew, but im pretty sure it was dead, so I pitched the dreggs of my peated porter, with a fair amount of beer too..., and when I got worried that wasn't enough, I pitched some bread yeast.

I got an OG of 1.02, but I figured that was wrong, so who knows. I tasted it a week or so after brewing, and it was surprisingly not atrocious.

Thoughts? Ideas? Ridicule?

The OG could be correct if you only used 1.5# of honey and a little molasses, it's an interesting mix of ingredients, even with the bread yeast it'll probably not be horribly sweet at the finish, expect a long time for it to clear. Since mead is nutrient poor and mollases often has sulfite in it that could be why the initial yeasts didn't do much, dunno how the bread yeast will react. Will be interesting to see what yeast takes over if they all have some viable cells left, try chopping up a small handful of raisins and add them and aerate it all, that'll add some nutrients to feed the yeast, then standback and see what happens....good luck, keep us posted

Gotmead calc gives 1.06 for the honey and blueberries in a 1 US gallon batch so I guess its a bit higher with the other ingredients. Still as medic said your yeasts should be able to get though that easy enough if they take hold.

I will do the raisin thing later today. I wasn't too worried about fermentation, yeasties are hearty little guys.
my gravity might be closer to right than I thought, I did a 2 gallon batch.

I was more worried about it tasting like death. Im not too worried about it clearing, I wont be handing it over to my buddy till next year.

Back