Anniversary Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm getting married in August, and we'll be moving into an apartment, which will likely be pretty small. SWMBO has been worried (rightfully so, I must say) that I'll be taking up way to much space with my brewing stuff.

But I'm thinking of pitching the idea that if we have room, we should brew an "Anniversary Mead." Brew it sometime around our wedding, and then crack the first one open on our next anniversary. And then one the following year, etc. I figure with a 5 gallon batch, we could have 25 years there of bombers.

I've never brewed a mead before, and don't really have much experience with them. There's a meadery not terribly far away that has a fair amount of samples, so I think we'd go there first to see what we liked. But as far as the logistics of this, what do people think?

What kinds of mead would last, if not improve over, 25 years, if any? Would I need special bottles for that long? Carbonated vs. still? Am I better off just shooting for a 10 year anniversary mead? The wedding's a couple months away, so I'm just kind of seeing what's possible. Thanks!

Im doing something similiar of brewing a mead on my brothers wedding day, an so far most people seem to to think just a plain ol mead will do just fine, tulepo or orange blossom seem to be good honeys for a traditional. or you can make it with cheaper honey, an then at the end sweeten it with the nice stuff

Back