Android apps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I just got an android. Now what apps do you all have that you couldn't live without. I already have a ton but more can't hurt, right?

Homebrew talk app of course!

Also, some kind of flashlight app, a timer if you don't have a phone with a timer built into the clock. I've tried a few brew timers but I always end up just setting a bunch of alarms instead.

IrregularPulse said:
He doesn't brew :p

Eh? Almost 24k posts on hbt and doesn't brew? Still, suppose the hbt app would be useful.

As far as games go, everyone has been doing the angry birds.

Brewzor for brewing related calculations mostly.
Handcent for SMS/MMS
Timeriffic to control my system volumes so that I don't forget to turn my ringer off full volume before I come home and scare SWMBO out of her skin at dinner!

An App killer if you don't already have one.
Words with Friends
Fat Booth
Aging Booth

What are fat booth and aging booth?

Homebrew talk app of course!

Also, some kind of flashlight app, a timer if you don't have a phone with a timer built into the clock. I've tried a few brew timers but I always end up just setting a bunch of alarms instead.

I have tried it but prefer the browser actually.

I got a flashlight one already.

He doesn't brew :p

Ass!

I have read similar. Also that it can screw other things up.

Eh? Almost 24k posts on hbt and doesn't brew? Still, suppose the hbt app would be useful.

:eek:

Brewzor for brewing related calculations mostly.
Handcent for SMS/MMS
Timeriffic to control my system volumes so that I don't forget to turn my ringer off full volume before I come home and scare SWMBO out of her skin at dinner!

Whats the advantage of handcent?

Ones I have and like/use:
Y5
BJCP Droid
DropBox
Gas Buddy
HeyTell
Pintley
ScoutMob
SoundHound
Swype

Taplister
Brewzor
Mixology
First Aid
US Army field manual
BJCP Droid
All Recipes
Angry Birds
Wild West
AK Notepad
Air Control

There are lots more things you can do with your messages over the stock messaging app... backup to online server, change the UI, customize the notifications for individual people. Also, you can have it pop up a new message and reply w/o having to unlock the phone. I never really used the stock app much since I dl'd Handcent almost immediately after getting my Droid. Although, I don't text nearly as much anymore because SWMBO & I use GTalk almost exclusively.

Honestly before moving to a replacement home screen like ADW or replacement messenger like handcent determine if you are fine with what's there already. I love the default one that comes with my mytouch 4G but prefer ADW when I used the mytouch 3g. Also, I love rooting. What phone did you get?

There are lots more things you can do with your messages over the stock messaging app... backup to online server, change the UI, customize the notifications for individual people. Also, you can have it pop up a new message and reply w/o having to unlock the phone. I never really used the stock app much since I dl'd Handcent almost immediately after getting my Droid. Although, I don't text nearly as much anymore because SWMBO & I use GTalk almost exclusively.

Agreed - I love Handcent namely because I can customize the notifications for each of my contacts. That way, I know who to ignore without even taking the phone out of my pocket :)

Ones I have and like/use:
Y5
BJCP Droid
DropBox
Gas Buddy
HeyTell
Pintley
ScoutMob
SoundHound
Swype

Would you mind a quick description of
Y5
HeyTell
Pintley
ScoutMob
and SoundHuond?

Taplister
Brewzor
Mixology
First Aid
US Army field manual
BJCP Droid
All Recipes
Angry Birds
Wild West
AK Notepad
Air Control

What is
Wild West and Air Control

Ok, thanks. My biggest problem with the default one is not knowing which messages are new and which aren't. Not having to unlock the phone to see it would be nice too.

Honestly before moving to a replacement home screen like ADW or replacement messenger like handcent determine if you are fine with what's there already. I love the default one that comes with my mytouch 4G but prefer ADW when I used the mytouch 3g. Also, I love rooting. What phone did you get?

I am going to wait for a new launcher but mainly just because I won't be keeping this phone. This is more of a test drive until I find what I like best.

Y5
HeyTell
Pintley
ScoutMob
and SoundHuond?

Y5: associates your known wifi networks with cell towers so it turns of your wifi when you aren't near a network. For example, it turns off my wifi when I leave home. Saves battery.
HeyTell- It is like the push to talk feature but runs over data netowrk. So you can send voice chats to people.
Pintley- App for this http://www.pintley.com/ Beer recommendations based on your ratings of beers.
ScoutMob- http://scoutmob.com/ Your city may/may not have one.
SoundHound- Run it while a song is playing and it will tell you the song/artist.

Y5: associates your known wifi networks with cell towers so it turns of your wifi when you aren't near a network. For example, it turns off my wifi when I leave home. Saves battery.
HeyTell- It is like the push to talk feature but runs over data netowrk. So you can send voice chats to people.
Pintley- App for this http://www.pintley.com/ Beer recommendations based on your ratings of beers.
ScoutMob- http://scoutmob.com/ Your city may/may not have one.
SoundHound- Run it while a song is playing and it will tell you the song/artist.

Thanks, y5 and pintley have been downloaded.

I prefer Untappd over Pintley.

P.S. has anyone mentioned Astro File Manager yet? Get that.

Pintley

What is
Wild West and Air Control

Pintley is a beer review site.

Wild West and Air Control are fun time wasting games.

Acar is a great app for tracking mpg and car expenses.

All the apps I listed are free.

Check out Torgue if you're a gear head. It connects up thru bluetooth to your car for OBD. There's probably even more OBD apps out there but it will tell you the diagnostic errors your car is spitting out at you. For $25 on ebay you can buy the adapter and not have to go to a mechanic to find out whats wrong with your car. You can also run it as you're driving to get oxygen/fuel/mpg etc information even altitude. Really fun. Some cars you can also update its software to get more hp :)

I just downloaded "Brewing Assistant Free" and it isn't bad. Can write recipes on my phone on the go. For free games- "Robo Defense", "Shoot U!", "The Inferno". I like Google Places when traveling to find anything. Found a nice English-Style pub in LA with that program.

Get the amazon appstore. They give a free paid app away every day. Can't count the games and Apps I have received so far.

I only use free apps so that's all I'll list for now:

PodKast and/or Listen - podcasts obviously
Angrybirds
Barcode Scanner
BeerCloud - Scan beer bottle labels or manually search all sorts of commercial beer info.
BJCP Droid
Colornote - simple way to save reminder messages... pick up milk.. or write down a Lowes part number for when you cut some tubing yourself and bring it to the register.

Earth
Facebook
File Expert (easy way to browse your phone's files)
Google Sky Map - will blow your mind the first time you try it.
Lighter Free - imitates a zippo lighter.
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Optimum (I use this to manage my DVR remotely)
Pandora - Probably my most used app when I'm doing the brewhardware thing in my garage.

Quickoffice - read word docs, excel on your phone.
Tubemate - Save youtube videos
Ultra Voice Changer - record your voice and play it back kidnapper style or like robots.
Weather Channel - how I got Hurricane updates without power.

Bump. Mrs. Jass just got a Droid Bionic ... any other apps not listed in this thread? :mug:

+1 to Handscent.
7 little words
Netflix
Enhanced Email is awesome but it's $10. Well worth it though if you use email heavily for work and need to manage multiple accounts.

Swiftkey X. It's a replacement keyboard that learns from your gMail,Facebook, Twitter and texts so predictions are far more accurate than with the stock keyboard.

I agree with downtown about SwiftKey its a great application. Make sure you get the amazon app store, they give an app a way every day for free, full versions. I've got plants vs zombies, cut the rope and countless other great Apps for free from them. The groupon application is great also.

Okay, so I downloaded Handcent this morning and love it...how do I get rid of the duplicate notification because of the standard messaging program?

Here are my favorite apps (I have a lot of them!) Most essential / most used in bold.

Tools
- Google Maps / Navigation / Places
- AVG Antivirus Free (automatically scans everything you download)
- Flashlight
- Google Translate (the Live Conversation is awesome and has actually been useful)
- Ringdroid (cut/edit sound files to make your own ringtones)
- Bubble (a bubble-level... you can't be a man if you don't have a bubble-level on hand at all times :D)
- Real Calc (scientific calculator)
- AAA Roadside (saves an image of your card and you can make claims in under 30 seconds through the app)
- Homework (perfect for a college student like me... widget keeps track of your schedule and homeworks/exams on home page)
- Google Sky Map (just effing cool)
- ColorNote (memopad and sticky-note widget)
- CamScanner (takes photos and converts them to .pdf)
- Google Goggles (analyses photos/logos/paintings and tells you what they are... very cool)
- QR Droid
- Barcode Scanner
- GasBuddy

Social / Reference
- Home Brew Talk (of course)
- Allrecipes (recipe database and meal-randomizer if you can't decide)
- Groupon (gotta have coups, baby)
- Heytell (walkie talkie!)
- BJCPDroid
- IMDb (Internet Movie Database app... if you love movies you'll waste hours on there)
- Wiki Encyclopedia
- U.S. Army Survival Guide (never know when you might need it)
- KnotsGuide (again, never know...)
- Mixology
- Happy Hours (awesome, lists all of the happy hours and their deals closest to you)
- First Aid
- Pintley
- Yelp (the monocle funcation is rather nifty)

Fun stuff
- Pandora (seriously, I use this constantly. Hardly uses any battery)
- MLS MatchDay Live (don't hate :D)
- Angry Birds
- Live Holdem Free
- MX Moto LITE (tons of fun, like a modern-tilt-screen-activated Excite Bike)
- Medieval Castle (if you like Tower Defense games this is for you... best one on android)
- c:geo (Open-source geocaching app so you don't have to pay for the official one. Don't know what geocaching is? Look it up... it's tons of fun)
- Pocket Soccer (like table hockey but a bit crazier. Check it out... high learning-curve but once you get it it's great)
- Air Horn Free (annoyingly fun)
- Inotia3 (best RPG on android)
- aTilt 3D Labyrinth (just like the old wooden box labyrinths. good times)
- Classic Simon (boop beep boop)
- PuchiPunchi (for those who love to pop bubble-wrap)
- Connect (fun puzzle game)
- Fruit Slice (feel like ninja while you slice some flying fruit to kill time at work :D)
- Disney Parks (we use this every time we go to Disneyland. The absolute best part about it is you can look up wait-times for rides)

ok I'll play along too.

I've had an android phone for a couple years now.

FREE:
Swype keyboard: type with out pecking the keys with your fingers

Handcent for messaging

Chrome to Phone : send a webpage or highlighted text to your phone from the computer example I just sent an API key for sabnzbd so I can use it on my sabnzbdcontrol application screw typing 26letters and numbers in on your phone when you can just paste that code in there.

astro file manager useful for accessing your SDcard

barcode scanner

connectbot: its a telnet application. I use it to connect remotely to my Media server and HTPC. I can access files and do pretty much any command prompt crap

xbmcremote: used to control my htpc when my remote goes a missing. from work I can see what my wife is watching and **** with her by pausing/stopping or starting an entirely different movie ;)

HeyTell: its a push to talk walkie talkie app that allows android to talk to iPhone and other android users.

Paid:

Beautiful Widgets: displays time and weather, or battery. I have a beer glass for my battery indicator and as the battery drains as does my glass.

homerun battle 3D: its a baseball hunrun derby style game where you can play head to head or against the pitcher to earn "gold balls" to buy better gear.

Rooted:

Rom Manager Premium:install, backup, restore, roms
Root Explorer: its a file browser that lets you get into the root files and modify them unlike astro.
drocap2: screen capture app. takes a photo of your screen and saves to SDcard
titanium backup: backs up all apps and system data

-=Jason=-

Back