Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
Hey all - anyone have a Barney Flats clone recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing? I just tried a few recently and can't get enough - great stuff!

I found the Clone Brews recipe - has anyone tried it?

thanks! :mug:

I have the show in Itunes, it is titled "Fal Allen 2 - Anderson Valley."

Is there a Fal Allen 1 show?

ultravista said:
I have the show in Itunes, it is titled "Fal Allen 2 - Anderson Valley."

Is there a Fal Allen 1 show?

Yes there is. But apparently it was cut short BC of phone problems. Fal was on air for at least an hour on this episode - a great interview for home brewers.

Funny coincidence...

This month's issue of BYO arrived. I was just paging through it and on page 39 there it is... The all grain recipe for Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout!

Here's the recipe with a few changes to accomodate my BIAB system (80% efficiency vs assumed 70%).

Changes: I reduced 2-row by 1lbs.

Issues: OG, FG, IBU, ABV are very close to the published recipe. However BYO calls for SRM 49. I get 30, which is correct for the style (49 is over the top).

Anyway, hope this helps... I will add this to my queue. Let me know if you have any thoughts about this.

Thanks!

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout OG: 1.062
Type: All Grain FG: 1.017
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.90 %
Calories: 204 IBU's: 14.69
Efficiency: 80 % Boil Size: 7.00 Gal
Color: 30.6 SRM Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 12 days @ 68.0°F
Crash Cool 3 days @ 39.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
7.75 lbs 65.16 % Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
12.00 ozs 6.31 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
12.00 ozs 6.31 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 60 mins 1.034
12.00 ozs 6.31 % Munich Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
1.30 ozs 0.68 % Briess Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.033
14.00 ozs 7.36 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
15.00 ozs 7.88 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.33 ozs 14.69 Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 mins 14.00
0.25 ozs 0.00 Northern Brewer 0 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg London ESB Ale Wyeast Labs 1968

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 0.00 qt water @ 0.0°F

Carbonation
Keg 30psi 1 day

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.760

ha! I forgot I asked for this. I actually talked to Fal on Facebook and he gave me the recipe! Super nice guy! I've brewed it a few times now and have really enjoyed it. It's such a smooth beer.

Josh - did he provide the same receipe as posted in BYO? Did you do all grain, partial mash, or extract?

I realize this is from Fal - how close is the taste and mouthfeel?

All-grain. If it's the recipe posted in this thread it's the same except he suggested much less oatmeal (.25 lbs) and used .25oz Horizon @ 90 min & 1 oz. Cascade at flameout. For yeast, he just just said "use a british yeast" - I used WYeast 1335 and was happy with it. Mouthfeel was a touch lacking (which made me question the oatmeal quantities), but I've mashed a little higher in later versions and was very happy with it.

I haven't compared it in a while...my beer place stopped carrying it so I've just been drinking my clone for the last few months. I have a friend on here that I gave the recipe to and he says it's exact. He was buying BFOS by the keg to keep on tap before I shared - so I consider him to be the true expert.

Josh - did he provide the same receipe as posted in BYO? Did you do all grain, partial mash, or extract?

I realize this is from Fal - how close is the taste and mouthfeel?

I asked him some other questions along the way, but can't find those anywhere (stupid facebook) - I'm not sure on what the SOP is with recipe received from brewers, but I figure he shared it on BYO, so it must be okay. (although, if a brewer shares the recipe in the first place, I guess they're not being SUPER secretive...)

Here's exactly what Fal sent me:
Recipe for 3100 gallons is
4200 - pale 2 row
500 - 80 L
500 - 40 L
500 - Munich
55 - roast barley
500 - chocolate
100 - wheat
100 - oats

mash temp ~ 154

6.8 lbs. Horizon @13.5 aau - for 90 min (IBUs ~13)
30 lbs. cascade in kettle - end of boil

British yeast - 68 degree ferment

water medium hard

OG = 15
FG = 4.2
AVB 5.8 %

From that, I have been using this:

Size: 5.5*gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 73.0%
Calories: 203.83*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.061 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 27.49 (22.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 5.84% (4.2% - 5.9%)
Bitterness: 11.0 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
8.6*lb Pale Ale Malt
1.0*lb Crystal Malt 80°L
1.0*lb Caramel Malt 40L
1.0*lb American Munich
1.0*lb Chocolate Malt
0.25*lb Malted Wheat
0.25*lb Oats (Pregelatinized Flakes)
0.1*lb Roasted Barley
0.25*oz Horizon (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m
1.0*oz Cascade (5.5%) - added at flameout
1.0*ea WYeast 1335 British Ale II™

Notes
mash @ 156* until converted

The actual amount of oats he told me is even less - I upped it to .25#.

This is easily my favorite craft/clone stout...BUT overall I prefer Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe to this. (it's a great, roasty - not bitter - stout!)

Josh said:
This is easily my favorite craft/clone stout...BUT overall I prefer Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe to this. (it's a great, roasty - not bitter - stout!)

Great info. Thanks for sharing. Are you saying that this turned out to bitter as in burnt malt?

Great info. Thanks for sharing. Are you saying that this turned out to bitter as in burnt malt?

nope - the BFOS recipe is great. Yooper's recipe is ALSO great, and very "roasty" (but NOT in a bitter way...as some roastiness can be...):D

Josh - did Fal mention the efficiency for the 3100 gallon batch?

I wonder why he quoted wheat but didn't provide that in the BYO recipe?

Also, the percentages differ from Fal's recipe to you and the one he shared with BYO.

Any idea why?

nope - no idea why the discrepancy. That's pretty much a cut and paste of the recipe he sent me. He didn't send me gravity, so I asked again and he replied with the plato, which I added.

A long-time BFOS fan (the guy was having kegs filled to keep on tap for the last few years as the "house stout" for himself & swmbo) brewed the recipe and thought it was pretty much spot on. He did make two changes - mashed at 154 and used WY1968.

I used the recipe Fal gave me thought it was as close as it would get (I bottle condition and think that's probably the difference)

Josh - did Fal mention the efficiency for the 3100 gallon batch?

I wonder why he quoted wheat but didn't provide that in the BYO recipe?

Also, the percentages differ from Fal's recipe to you and the one he shared with BYO.

Any idea why?

That's the "long-time BFOS fan" I mentioned - Rick. He's a good guy. I would be the "friend who hit them up " :mug:

So did Fal provide Rich with the same recipe years ago?

Your post, is it Rich's recipe or Fal's? I'm confused ...

The actual recipe post is from December 2011. Fal gave it to me via facebook. I , in turn, shared it with Rick.

Very good, thanks for the quick reply.

The grist percentages are much different between the two recipes, most notable is the absence of wheat.

How will this brew turnout with Wyeast 1098

Wyeast 1098
This yeast allows malt and hop character to dominate the profile. It ferments dry and crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well balanced. Beers will finish clean and neutral. Ferments well down to 64°F (18°C).

Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 73-75%
Temperature Range: 64-72 F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Wyeast 1968
A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

I ran the recipe as follows:

Size: 5.7*gal
Efficiency: 73.0%
Attenuation: 77.0%

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 34.34 (22.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 6.27% (4.2% - 5.9%)
Bitterness: 43.2 (25.0 - 40.0) (rager AA utilization and mosher pellet corrections)

Ingredients:
9*lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.2*lb Crystal 40
1.2*lb Crystal Malt 80°L
1*lb American Munich
1*lb Chocolate Malt
.25*lb Wheat Flakes
.5*lb Oats (Pregelatinized Flakes)
.1*lb Roasted Barley
.5*oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1*ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
.5*tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz Cascade LEAF (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 2*m

Mash at 153F 60 minutes

WLP002, 1.8 liter starter, fermented at 68 to 72 F. Primary for 2.5 weeks.

I just did a side by side (the mine is about a month since it was brewed). As soon it was poured it was clear the clone recipe is not as dark as the real deal. This could be the chocolate malt I used. Mine is more dark dark brown/red then actually black, if held to a light. The aroma was the same/very similar. The taste of the real deal was more roasty/charcoal, even a bit of raisin flavor. Otherwise, both are excellent stouts, but I like more roast in my stout so Ill brew this again with more roast and chocolate malt, maybe subbing some of the caramel malts out.

I exchanged emails with Fal Allen regarding the recipe; he provided a little input on adding a little more Munich & Oatmeal. I have the grains ready and will brew this next month.

Back