Ancient kit - opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaincarrot

Reaction score
Hi.

Newbie, I searched the forum because I've been raiding my attic.

...And I've dug out a Brupacks Yorkshire ale kit, dated 2003. (I also re-discovered my old barrel and all the other stuff).

It's an extract kit (two big cans 3kg). I suspect this may be OK, despite it's age. I'm much less sure about the dried yeast (Muntons brand, small foil sachet).

Without telling me to go and do it all the proper way, what's the opinion on these aged ingredients?

In my VERY limited experience fresher is better. I don't know if I would use 5 year old extract. No, I know I would not use it.

i'm assuming it's liquid malt extract, which doesn't age well. dry malt extract that's sealed properly would be ok. the dry yeast is dead and too cheap to worrry about anyway.

no, i wouldn't use it.

Hmm, thanks. I could have guessed that one I suppose.

Time to get in something a bit better then.

I've used 8 year old extract. It was two cans of "light", which looked rather dark. Made a stout out of them & it wasn't bad. About $6 for specialty grains and a fresh packet of Nottingham.

Back