Anchor Steam Christmas ales clone recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
I havent had it for many years, but I know they used to have a new recipe every year. Is it concievable that I could find recipes based on each year? the 1989 & 1990 ones were my all-time favorites hands down!

the one in Beer's Captured is from the mid 90's I think. So, not that I know of. The one in Beer's Captured is a mighty fine brew, though.

I am fermenting the 1995 recipe that I got for Beer Captured. It has been in my secondary for 3 weeks now. I am thinking of bottling it this weekend or the following weekend. I don't have my notes with me right now to post up the recipe.

wstein said:
I am fermenting the 1995 recipe that I got for Beer Captured. It has been in my secondary for 3 weeks now. I am thinking of bottling it this weekend or the following weekend. I don't have my notes with me right now to post up the recipe.

That will be a popular brew. Are you giving it away for gifts or is it more personal?

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
That will be a popular brew. Are you giving it away for gifts or is it more personal?

I was going to bring it with me to holiday dinners and what not.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
It'll be a hit. you'll be glad you started this early as the flavors need time to mellow. I wish I already had mine going...

I think it will be a good beer come Christmas time. I am a little worried it isn't going to be fully ready by Thanksgiving. So I am planning on starting it in early Aug or late July next year.

There is a recipe in Beer Captured for the 1995 version. I brewed it up and here is the recipe

9oz US 40L Crystal Malt
5oz British Chocolate Malt
Steep for 30 mins at 150 degrees in 1 gal of water

Add water to bring it up to 2.5 gal
4.5# Muntons Extra Light DME (60 mins)
4# Alexanders Pale LME (60 mins)
2oz Malto Dextrin (60 mins)
1.25oz Northern Brewer (60 mins)
1/4oz Norther Brewer (15mins)
1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (15 mins)
1/4 tsp Nutmeg (15 mins)
1/4 tsp Anise (15 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
1/2 inch Vanilla Bean (1 min)
1/4 tsp Anise (1 min)

Northwest Ale or American Ale yeast (I used WL California Ale yeast

1 week in the primary and 4 in the secondary, then bottle/keg

O.G 1.068-1.069
F.G 1.017-1.018

I been searching all over for an Anchor Christmas Clone (any year) and found thread. The receipe listed here is for 2.5g, does anybody know how to adjust for 5g? I was considering just doubling everything, but that seems like a lot of extract. Maybe double everything except that?

I'm fairly new to brewing and I've pretty much stuck with extract kits with minor modifications, so thanks for any help.

Ed

Given the malt amount and OG, it has to be 2.5 gallon boil volume for a 5 gallon batch. They just didn't mention the top off water. In other words, don't double anything and make it as is.

Back