Anchor Christmas Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I've tried searching around, both here and Google, but my search-fu must be weak because I've not really found anything. I'm looking for a recipe or a clone approximating this year's Christmas Ale from Anchor Steam. Has anyone seen such a thread?

It tastes like it has a lot of crystal 120L in there, with flavors of dark fruit and raisins. I don't think I can find any spice. I don't think there's any chocolate or anything beyond a smidge of roasted. I'd be there's black patent to darken it up, and add a little more of that black and dark fruit notes. Tastes like maybe 28-32 IBU, I don't get a lot of hop flavor, but I'm not particularly sensitive. It feels like it finished sweet - maybe a Scottish yeast would get the malt forward profile? There's probably some supporting yeast flavors under that sweet richness. Know that it is Anchor steam, a warm ferment on 2112 might get you there.

Probably not going to find a lot of help on cloning because:

1. The recipe changes each year, so its impossible to try to revise a clone recipe or the years as it is a moving target.

2. Anchor really guards the recipe.

My two cents, the yeast is almost certainly WY1272/WLP051 as this is Anchor's ale strain.

I thought it tasted like there was some nutmeg in it. Did anyone else taste this?

As I was drinking a bottle of this tonight, I thought this years recipe had a slight pine flavor to the sweetness. Perhaps Simcoe or Ammarilo or some other piney hops were added.

Did anyone else taste pine? (I'm a Noob so I rarely know what I'm talking about)

Back