An old one sitting around.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I have one I brewed on Jan31, 2015. Its been in the keg since then, but it never really carbed up much more than a puff when tested. Its a fairly heavy clone of a local brew called the Velvet Hammer. The basic malt content was: 14lb of lt malt extract, 2lb American Caramel Crystal 60L, 1 lb German Carared, 4oz American Caramel/Crystal 120L, and 2oz American Roasted Barley.

The yeast was safale-005. It fermented well and came to a rest after about a week. Temp was a steady 66. it was then put in the keg with conditioning sugar.

I have good technique and have had no problems with any of my brews. I'm thinking of bottling it with a small amount more of conditioning sugar and a touch of some other yeast to finish it off.

So, any thoughts or suggestions that might make this a better beer or save it from a bad outcome?

I don't understand the question. Why don't you force carb it and drink it?

Are you saying it didn't ferment out completely? It's not surprising that it's heavy, there's a buttload of crystal malts in there.

If you don't want to drink as-is, I'd work on brewing a lighter bodied beer to blend rather than trying to futz with a beer that's already finished. That almost always turns out bad.

Oh I want to drink it for sure. I'd just leave it in the keg to drink but don't have refrigeration at present. At least not big enough for a keg.

It fermented completely but never carbed up in the keg. I just sealed it in and never put co2 on it. I let them condition in the keg on occasion. I like the bottle conditioned better, this is just a five gallon bottle.

So you think it'll carb up if I bottle it with a tad of sugar? Im concerned that the yeast is too old at this point.

Oh I want to drink it for sure. I'd just leave it in the keg to drink but don't have refrigeration at present. At least not big enough for a keg.

It fermented completely but never carbed up in the keg. I just sealed it in and never put co2 on it. I let them condition in the keg on occasion. I like the bottle conditioned better, this is just a five gallon bottle.

So you think it'll carb up if I bottle it with a tad of sugar? Im concerned that the yeast is too old at this point.

Well, if you add sugar, I would add some fresh yeast as well. It should carb up then, though make sure to use less sugar than you would naturally carbonating in bottles (use a calculator. Please.). How are you planning on chilling it/keeping it cold to serve? Jockey box? put into growlers and refrigerate that?

Give it a taste, does it taste like cardboard? if not go for it.

Well, if you add sugar, I would add some fresh yeast as well. It should carb up then, though make sure to use less sugar than you would naturally carbonating in bottles (use a calculator. Please.). How are you planning on chilling it/keeping it cold to serve? Jockey box? put into growlers and refrigerate that?

Give it a taste, does it taste like cardboard? if not go for it.

The plan is to bottle it in quart sized bottles, those dark plastic covered bottles one gets at the brewing storage houses.

You're right I need to taste it. If it brewed correctly it should be around 9% and hopefully it has aged well. It is also fairly dark so that should help as well.

I haven't been brewing since I made this one back in January and my knowledge has waned. Time to freshen up on brewing and beer in general.

Back