Quantcast

An Oktoberfest...an appropriate yeast?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Volcom-Brewer

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm going to start an Oktoberfest VERY soon, but I've never done a Lager before. The way the local brewshop clerk told me to use http://morebeer.com/view_product/16443/102170/Saflager_S-2311.5g. I don't think this yeast is what I want to use. He then told me to let it ferment at room temp for a day, then bottle it with priming sugar for 3 weeks. Then finally lager it in bottle for 2-3 months. This doesn't seem right. Can someone please help me with this?

Can I also get good instructions on when to rest and/or sparge with Victory Malt? I'm also doing a Brown Ale...

OP
Volcom-Brewer

Volcom-Brewer

Reaction score
sounds good...is what he's telling me for fermentation correct? I've never done a lager...

KingBrianI

Reaction score
pitch at 50, not room temp. leaving it at room temp allows the yeast to replicate more quickly, but it also allows them to produce un-lagerlike flavors. if you pitch 2 packs of the w34/70, they won't need the room temp to replicate faster, there will be a sufficient amount already pitched.

permo

Reaction score
You know what I would do? Take a nice octoberfest recipe and use nottingham or pacman on a low and slow ferment, then lager it as usual. TASTY! I am in the process right now of a munich dunkel using pacman, it is shaping up nicely. You may not get an authentic lager, but I bet if you blind taste tested maibocks, rogue dead guy would hit the nail on the head pretty good and it's an ale. I am starting more and more to believe, that outside of pilseners and other truly specialized lagers, you can do an awefull lot with ale yeast.

OP
Volcom-Brewer

Volcom-Brewer

Reaction score
I did that last year...thats why I'm aiming for a traditional Marzen this time. And I agree...TASTY AS HELL :mug:

Latest posts