An interesting phenomenon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen during their hop harvesting season:

First off. I work in a factory and shower twice a day. I wash my hands many times throughout the day so I don't attribute this happening to something left on my hands or under my finger-nails.

For the last two weeks I've been harvesting, drying, or vac-sealing hops pretty much every day. I don't do a lot but I've been handling them in small quantities. I'll be at work the next morning and rub my nose and smell hops.

This continues throughout the day from time to time and I'll rub my nose again and the smell won't be there. It's almost like I knocked some lupulin loose that I sucked up the night before and it's gone.

This is not a drunken rambling. I know where that forum is. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the "phantom hop syndrome" or if I'm the only one.

After brewing, I smell hops the next day. Let me ask you, do you feel a bit euphoric the next day? Lupulin can have a euphoric effect on you. So I've read.

I've been in the yard a couple of times this year and have felt the effects. Maybe I crushed too many cones, maybe I crushed too many HBs. This is different from that. Maybe my mind is just screwed up or maybe I'm thinking too much about hops. I guess I'll never be able to have a farm because I'd go crazy with all of the thoughts of hops.

I've noticed this also-next day "ghost" hops smell.
I figured it is probably hops oils that got under my fingernails, and didn't wash off in the shower, or something like that...

I think hop oils tend to exist in microspheres...you've probably got a few attached to you. Just like the mites that crawl all over your body that you'd have to use an electron microscope to see. You rub them...they pop...you'll get the release of hop oil and the sensations. Their effect probably goes away pretty quickly at body temperature.

Can you bottle the stuff? Hop heads would love to score some of that action!

I can't imagine how happy it would make me to rub my nose and get a whiff of hops. Provided it's a high grade cultivar :)

I get it every time I brew. Even if I shower after I'll smell them for about 12 hours after the boil.

This is only when I stand directly in the steam coming off the boil as I add the hop additions. I used to enjoy the sensation but now it is kind of off putting to me so I avoid the steam.

(I actually started a thread about this and I called the experinience having my sinuses "stained with hops".)

I picked some hops last night and just smelled my fingers and they smell like...uh, never mind. :D

Back