an easy newb question about lautering and HSA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
hey AGers, I have a cooler set-up and when I lauter I just open the ball valve and let the wort flow into my pot without use of any tubing or hose....is this something that may cause hot-side aeration or any other type of problem (it does do a bit of splashing, though I minimize this by running it down the side of the pot)?

It all depends on whether or not you believe HSA is a real problem or not. Personally I think it won't harm your beer, but if you want to avoid that risk then go for a longer hose. :)

Oh yes, personally, although I think HSA is not really a problem, I still try to avoid too much splashing.....You know.....just in case! ;)

I always use a piece of tubing. Partially to avoid HSA, but also because the tubing helps to act as a siphon, "pulling" the wort out of the MLT better than just opening it up.

When I drain the MLT, the wort takes a 2 foot drop into the kettle - no HSA.

A piece of tubing does act as a siphon, like Yooper said.

I use tubing, but just because it's cleaner and I have less of a mess to clean up.

Personally, I think HSA is big friggin' UBL (Urban Brewer's Legend).

a dollar well spent...use a piece of tubing. Not only will it eliminate any HSA whether you believe or not, it will make lautering neater and draining the tun faster. Now who doesn't like to save time?

thanks for your responses, guys and gals.....for those of you that use a tube, do you just slip a piece of tubing over the brass nipple or do you fashion a connector piece?

hey, I forgot to ask part of my question (cursing self under breath).....can I use regular vinyl tubing, like what is used at siphoning/bottling, or do I need some special type of tubing, and if so, what type? thanks in advance.

Back