Amylase enzyme ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a beer in primary that calls for it to be racked into secondary and add 1 tsp of amylase enzyme....However I cannot find out HOW to add it. Do I need to boil water...cool it, add the enzyme? I know I am not supposed to boil the enzyme......OR can I just pour in the tsp of enzyme?

do I NEED to rack to a secondary to use this stuff? I added the pellet hops right to the boil with no bag and everything went into the fermentor. I am also dry hopping this beer later....so Just pour it into the primary? or rack into a clean carboy ?

You dont need to IMO. Why are you using it? To 'dry' out you rbeer?

I am basically just following a recipe blindly. The recipe calls for it so I am using it. Not educated enough yet to really know WHY.

I'd just put it in the primary, then give it at least few days/week before racking (or when gravity stops dropping)

I added the amylase last night, and according to the recipe, I should have a second vigorous fermentation..I got nothin.

What is the SG of your beer right now? My understanding of the enzyme (I considered using some recently to get a lager "stuck" at 1.020 restarted) is that it will break down some of the remaining sugars in your beer; thus providing more food for your yeast which of course will restart fermentation. So if your beer is at an SG you are happy with, there would be little point. IOW, if you are at 1.010 where do you realistically hope to get to by using the enzyme? It could do more harm than good.

Sorry, don't mean to side bust on this post, but, by adding amylase enzymes, do you mean adding a pre packaged product of some sort, or freshly extracted enzymes from a ultra small mash? The only reason I ask, is I have a stuck fermentation right now with a Strong Scotch and am researching how to fix it. OG 1.085, 11 days in primary, gravity is at 1.052. I haven't found an actual enzyme product at Morebeer or Northernbrewer other than pectic enzyme. But it sounds like its use is for fruit additions.

Back