Amusing beer photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
So, I have just checked in on my blonde ale from the weekend which is happily fermenting away. I was amused to see, however, a strange sight. Typically, trub is on the bottom, followed by beer layer, and finish off with a layer of krausen. This beer is backwards. Little trub, beer, krausen, big trub!

Check it out. Not worried, just amused. Any ideas what happened?

beer1.jpg

cool photo, Ive seen something pretty similar, but all that should fall to the bottom after fermentation is through...except for the bit that sticks to the carboy at the beer level. thats why they call ale yeast a "top fermenting yeast"

your making beer thats what happened!

looks perfectly normal to me! are you using a different strain of yeast than normal, that could be the cause for a different looking fermentation.

looks perfectly normal to me! are you using a different strain of yeast than normal, that could be the cause for a different looking fermentation.

Nope. Straight up boring US-04. You say it looks normal to you... The top "oatmeal-ish" layer isn't krausen. It's trub. That happens to you alot?

Nope. Straight up boring US-04. You say it looks normal to you... The top "oatmeal-ish" layer isn't krausen. It's trub. That happens to you alot?

I don't typically use s04 but, I do use a lot of WLP007 and it looks like that all the time. Same thing from WLP005 on a recent batch. It might look like trub, but it's yeast. Those english strains are super flocculant and clump together like cottage cheese. All that crap will drop out when it's done, and if any clings to the top, it will drop as soon as you move the carboy.

I don't typically use s04 but, I do use a lot of WLP007 and it looks like that all the time. Same thing from WLP005 on a recent batch. It might look like trub, but it's yeast. Those english strains are super flocculant and clump together like cottage cheese. All that crap will drop out when it's done, and if any clings to the top, it will drop as soon as you move the carboy.

I use US05 for most of my stuff (I use liquid for my belgians, wheats, and big stouts). US04 the past few, but this was the first time I had seen this and I thought it looked interesting. I've learned never to worry what it looks like because the bad stuff will almost always go away.

My only disappointment in all of this is that I'm NOT the only person to ever have seen this. I thought I had a unique flower on my hands. Suck. Thanks for the feedback all!

cimirie said:
I use US05 for most of my stuff (I use liquid for my belgians, wheats, and big stouts). US04 the past few, but this was the first time I had seen this and I thought it looked interesting. I've learned never to worry what it looks like because the bad stuff will almost always go away.

My only disappointment in all of this is that I'm NOT the only person to ever have seen this. I thought I had a unique flower on my hands. Suck. Thanks for the feedback all!

I'll tell you what man, if you want to use the 05 for your big stouts as well, go for it. I just brewed what was suposed to be a regular american stout. For some reason, my efficiency was around 85% and I ended up with an OG of 1.084. I only had one paket of rehydrated 05 on hand, so I crossed my fingers and pitched it. Six days later and im down to 1.024! Not quite as dry as I would have liked, but the temps were in the low 60's. This is going to be one of my best yet as it has that beautiful roasty aroma and flavor. I've always known 05 to be a heavyweight, but I definitely have a new respect for it.

Looks fine to me, a lot of mine look like that. It seems more common on wheat beer yeast. But I have had that with us-05 before.

I had that happen on one not too long ago. It actually stayed on the top after fermentation. Beer was fine, but it struck me as odd...then again, I did add some weird stuff to that batch. Used Danstar Windsor ale yeast.

Back