Amsterdam closing shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Get there while you can.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/109373

Arguing that too many brothels and sex bars are linked to criminality, the authorities plan to all but erase the Red Light District.

Amsterdam's mayor, Job Cohen, and his aldermen have demonstrated little nostalgia for the district, which has been the world's most famous home of sexual permissiveness since the 15th century. They first unveiled the plan to close it in December; last month they revoked the licenses of two widely known sex venues, the Casa Rosso and the Banana Bar.

Over the last few years the Netherlands has adopted a stricter policy on selling marijuana, and a ban on hallucinogenic mushrooms is slated to go into effect later this year.

weak. i'm supposed to go there later this year. and i was going to have lots of sex. (ok, not really, but i was planning on visiting a coffee shop or two)

Here you go.

spliff.jpg

The pendulum swings both ways-eventually...generally too far in each direction-then over-correction...

Good thing I went there in November 2006.

Anyways, I honestly don't think it's really going to happen to the extent they're talking about, cause they really have freedom and open-mindness instilled into them as a people. Actually, if I remember my Political philosophy class well, many of the first immigrants to the USA passed through dutch harbors, and from there they saw the freedom which the locals cherished and decided they wanted to do much the same for with their new country.

A few years ago, a friend told me the local produce growers had shifted their greenhouse production so much, veggies became more expensive at the grocery store...!

Well, that just means that only every other city and reasonably large town still has plenty of coffeeshops to make do.

I've been, but did not partake of the sex or the drugs. My roommate in college in Germany visited the brothels when he was there on his own. He didn't tell his girlfriend in America, but didn't consider it cheating because it obviously wasn't a relationship:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back