Amp meter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
So I just finished my new control box build and everything looks pretty good so far except the meters.

The amp meter will only display the '1 .' that you see in the image below. I checked the wiring and it seems to be good but I'll double check it tonight.

The amp meter was purchased through Kal's electric brewery site and I followed the wiring instructions on the site.

Does this indicate a wiring issue or something else? I burned out my first amp meter but now the power source is set properly at ~4.9V.

thumb2_photo-feb-07-12-20-28-pm-66829.jpg

Is that 4.9V DC for the power source and is it the one offered for sale along with the meter?

Quote from the Electric Brewery site:

"Both meters require 5 volts DC to operate. We use small 10:1 step-down transformers (doorbell transformers work perfectly) to take 120 volts AC down to 12 volts AC followed by small adjustable DC power supplies (AC 4V-30V input, DC 2.5V-27V output).

Because of the way this particular volt meter is designed (one of the AC inputs is tied to the DC ground), separate power supplies and transformers must be used in order to isolate the meters from each other. Trying to use one power supply and transformer to power both meters will destroy the meters (ask us how we know!) even through the supplied instructions say this is possible."

Are you heeding this advice?

You gotta show the wiring. Seeing the "1" makes me think the shunt isn't connected properly.

Chris

I did end up figuring this out. After confirming that the wiring was correct about 100 times, I checked the connections going into the amp meter and one of the wires wasn't making proper contact. Quick fix.

Back