Amount of water to start...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
I have a DFH 90minute IPA clone that I just got all the ingredients for, but I'm noticing the recipe calls for 6 gallons of water to start. This is a malt extract recipe, so we'll be adding 8 ounces of malt. So my question is this: We only have a 22 quart (5.5 gallon) kettle for the boil. Do you think starting with a lesser amount of water, say 5 gallons, will affect the outcome of the wort?

DON'T post in multiple sections, the exact same question... Seriously, it's not a good idea at all...

I also think you have the amount of extract wrong.. 8 ounces (1/2#) won't give you much of anything in a 5 gallon batch (6 gallon pre-boil)... You use a higher concentration that that for yeast starters.

I would reach out to where you bought the kit from and get their advise... Chances are it will change the end results at least some (hop utilization more than anything else)...

Better to get a larger pot now, so you're also ready for other full boil recipes... Go for a 30-40qt pot (I have a 32qt aluminum kettle that works great to boil ~7 gallons or wort for ~5 gallon batches)...

Sorry about the multiple postings. I wasn't sure where to go with this question.

The recipe calls for 8 ounces of malt, plus 7 pounds of extract. I was just mentioning the 8 ounces because of water displacement when steeping the grains.

I would like to get a larger kettle and probably will in the future, but can't afford it at the moment.

You were talking about the specialty GRAINS then, not malt... Different items... When you're brewing extract, the extract is the malt... The grains are for the extra flavors you won't get from the extract... 1/2# of grain won't displace all that much volume...

You can use aluminum pots for brewing... Just make sure you condition it before you use it for the first time (boil as much water as you can in it for at least 30 minutes and then leave the black coating on it. Don't scrub it off in the future, it also makes cleaning much easier)...

I still think you should contact where you got the kit from to find out their suggestions... I only did partial boils when brewing extract (all of three batches). Since I went to all grain, I boil full batch size. If you use some fermcap-s in the boil, you'll be able to fit more water into the pot... Also, you don't have the grains in there for the boil. So you should be able to process them (at the lower temps), pull them out, top off and then add the extract...

I listed malt in my post because in the ingredients list and on the package it says "Amber Malt, crushed." Sorry if I'm confusing the situation.

I did send an email to the place where I got the kit, but it was only a short while ago, so no response yet.

Around here, it's called "specialty grains"... Actually, every other time I've seen it referenced, in an extract recipe, it's called specialty grains...

If you have no other option than to use the smaller pot, I would use fermcap-s in the boil, to prevent boil-over and get as much water in as possible. Keep in mind 7# of extract will also take up some volume... Probably better off giving yourself a bit of extra space so that you don't need to worry so much..

IF you have a second pot that's a decent size, you could try splitting the batch. That also means you'll split the extract between both, plus the hops will need to be evenly split between pots. Makes for a more PITA batch though...

FYI, if you need a bigger pot, check out some of the liquor stores that sell kegs. If you get to know the owner he may be willing to sell you an empty pony or full size keg for the price of the deposit. usually between $35 and $40. Then all you need is a dremel with some cutting bits and a step bit for the drain at the bottom (Home depot or Lows will have it). Any brew shop or online will have a weldless ball valve.

The quick and easy answer is Yes. You can boil with less water and still make beer, you just won't get the same hop utilization that you would've from a full boil. Another option is to only add half of the extract at the begining and then add the rest at the end, this will give you better hop utilization as the gravity of the wort will be lower and allow the hops to better boil into it. Just add water to the fermentor to make up the final volume and it will be fine.

Back