Amount of Raspberries for Raz Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
It's a five gallon batch of Wheat Beer and I plan to let it sit in primary for about five days, move to secondary, add 3 lbs. of raspberries, and let it sit for about 10 - 11 days before bottling.

Is this a pretty fair amount? I've looked at other recipes and this seems ok. I mean, I definitely want the taste to come through, but not be extremely overpowering.

Also, is there a big difference between using frozen vs. fresh raspberries? Quality of taste, etc.?

I haven't done a wheat but I have done a chocolate stout with frozen raspberries. They are very strong I used about two and a half pounds for 5 gallons and it was very tart and dominated the flavor profile. It mellowed a bit overtime but was still very strong. Be careful raspberries are potent!

As far as I know using frozen is actually better because the freezing process breaks down the cell walls.

I ended up using just over 1 pound. I bottled it today. We'll see how it turns out in two weeks...

The other thing you can use is one can of Oregon puree, that stuff is good quality and adds a great flavor to the beer. That, and it is the most sanitary as that stuff is pasteurized in the can. Best to rack on top of it in the secondary though.

I tasted the sample yesterday and it seemed pretty good - you could definitely taste the raspberries, but it wasn't to an extreme extent. However, even if it would've gone off the deep end I'm still a big fan of beers that go big on fruit flavor, and if this one only serves as a barometer for the future, i'm probably going to go nuts with fruit flavored beer eventually. Vermont Pub & Brewery's "Forbidden Fruit" is one of my favorite examples of this working out exceptionally well. Too bad its too strong to be served in pints!

Still, overall I think it's going to shape up to be a fine summer brew.

Latest posts

Back