amount of dry yeast in 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I'm a brewer but just getting back into it after a few years. I'm starting with an easy extract 1 gallon kit from northern brewer. It comes with 1 package of US-05 yeast. The directions say to pitch 1/2 the package.

Should I pitch only half the yeast, or would it be alright to pitch the entire package?

What would be the negative of pitching the entire package in the 1 gallon batch?

matt

Half a packet of US05 is more than enough for a 1gal batch.

I'd split one packet between the two recipes; pitch one half to each brew, and put the spare packet in the freezer for the next couple beers. Then you've got a spare packet of yeast incase you ever need it.

Mr Malty normally suggests 2 g of yeast for 1 gallon batches that I brew. That's about 1/5 of a packet.

Can you keep an open half packet of yeast or any reasonable amount of time?

1/2 pack is more than enough. I saved the other half of a us-05 for about a week in my fridge and had no problem. I just folded the package over and stuck it in the back of the fridge.

Can you keep an open half packet of yeast or any reasonable amount of time?

You sure can. I've used a half a packet stored in the freezer/taped over/in ziplock a month later and it took off fine. Just realize that a half packet is still over pitching, so if you loose a few hundred thousand cells over a couple weeks it's not a big deal.

:mug:

What would be the negative of pitching the entire package in the 1 gallon batch?

You can get some off flavours from over pitching, and poor yeast health if you're going to reuse the yeast.

You want to use around about a quarter of the pack.

Recommendation for storing is 1 week, but many of us go much longer. A month is probably ok. I usually fold and peg the packet, then store in a sealed ziplock bag in the fridge.

I usually add 1/3 the packet. Ill add closer to 1/2 if the OG is over about 1.065 but that's probably still too much. Just make sure you aerate well

Back