amount of carbonation and cold crashing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justenoughforme

Reaction score
If you're using a kit, and you add the proper amount of corn sugar... do you feel comfortable letting the bottle carbonate up without checking? i'm using EZ Cap bottles, and can pop them to check, but that brings risk of infection.

i had one last night and it poured a good amount of head.

do you always cold crash ?

Two different questions.

1) Yes, I trust my process. Measure twice, cut once. After a week or so (depending on ABV and how long it was in fermenter) I'll chill one and pop it open to see how it's going. But that's just because I'm impatient.

2) If you're able to cold crash, why not?

I personally do not trust kit instructions. I've found that they often recommend using more dextrose than is necessary for a particular style.

I never cold crashed when I first started simply because I didn't have the means to do so. Now I have a fridge in my garage for all my beer, so whenever it's time to cold crash I just move bottles around to make room so I can put the carboy in for a couple days.

Back