amount of ajc per gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceyJay

Reaction score
Looking to backsweeten and bottle carbonate 1 1/2 gal of cider. Is it the basic 1oz of sugar per 1 gallon of Cider to properly carbonate?

You have to pasteurize to backsweeten cider in bottles. Any sugar you add wont make it sweeter, it will only make it carbonate more and then explode. Pasteurizing has its own risks with bottles exploding and should be done with extreme caution.

You have to pasteurize to backsweeten cider in bottles. Any sugar you add wont make it sweeter, it will only make it carbonate more and then explode. Pasteurizing has its own risks with bottles exploding and should be done with extreme caution.

Oh I know this, it's my second batch of carbonated cider, no problems with the first batch.
Adding ajc for flavor (fermented dry) and sugars to carbonate.
I am also aware of the stove top method of pasteurization and using a plastic soda bottle to test the amount of carbonation in bottles.

What I was looking for was a general rule ie: one ounce of sugar per Gal. To carbonate.

Back