American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
I am going to brew this on Sunday and wanted some help double checking my numbers. I do a full volume mash (BIAB). My total starting water is 4.8 gallons (about 3.75 qt/lb)
Grain Bill:
2Row 2.19#
Wheat 2.19#
Munich .5#
Honey Malt .25#
I used Bru'n Water and Brewer's Friend
Mineral/acid additions
2.4 grams Gypsum
2.2 grams CaCl2
24.2ml Phosphoric acid (10% solution)

Bru'n water predicted 5.33 mash pH and Brewer's Friend predicted 5.16. Is that too much of an acid addition. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
You don't say anything about the water so I have to assume it is RO. Given that the main drivers in mash pH will be the base malts i.e. the 2 row and wheat. Assuming that the mix of the two gave a DI mash pH of 5.6 your mash pH would be about 5.21. Assuming that the DI pH was more like 8.5 the mash pH would be closer to 5.26.

Assuming the more acidic base malt eliminating the phosphoric acid would give you an estimated pH of 5.42. That would please me so if you have an acidic base malt (like Maris Otter) I would go w/o the phosphoric. Assuming the more basic base malt the mash pH would be more like 5.56 w/o the acid and while that is marginally OK I'd probably want to pull it back a bit. Using 12 mL of 1 N (~ 10%) acid ought to get you close to 5.40 so that's probably what I'd do expecting to hit 5.29 were the malt lower in DI pH.

Ok, thanks AJ. I will be using RO water from the store (finally got a TDS meter to double check it). I planned on using the 2row since I have some on hand. That seemed like a lot of Phos so I will go with the 12 ml like you suggested. Thanks again for the reply.

I ended up using 14 ml of the 10%Phosphoric acid and my pH came in at 5.36 measured at room temp about 45 minutes into the mash. I am happy with that for sure. Thanks again AJ.

Back