American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjhachey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to recreate an American Wheat from a local Brew Pub and I'm hoping to get some help figuring out how to put together an extract recipe based on what I know about the original. The brew-pub describes the beer as "An American version of the popular South German Style wheat beer brewed with a 70/30 blend of barley and wheat."

A friend that works at the brew-pub talked to the brewmaster and got this "recipe" (this is exactly as written):

- 50/50 2-Row / White Wheat
- 15 IBU's
- Hops @ 60 & 30
- American Ale yeast
- German Hops

Being an extract brewer with only ~ 10 brews under my belt I have a decent idea of what this means, and I think I get the hop and yeast needs, but I'm struggling with what LME or DME and specialty grains I can use to recreate this. I generally do full boil extract.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, including any thoughts on yeast or hops to use. I'm thinking af getting Beer Smith to play around and maybe figure out hop additions, etc to get to the 15 IBUs.

Thanks, Again!

Josh

Definitely get beersmith or any other quality brewing software to figure ibus. Some German noble hops like Hallertau or Tettnanger will work. I'd go with extra light lme/dme and some wheat lme/dme. Wheat lme already has some barley in it so you may be able to just go with all wheat lme. You'd have to look at the manufacturer specs on the extract to find the ratio. Specialty grains are not really necessary but you could throw in a small amount of Carapils if you want something extra.

I just recently brewed an American Wheat with WLP320 and it is very clean and crisp with no hint of clove or banana.

You can use 6lbs Wheat LME and either 3lbs of Light LME or extra light DME. If the Extract is listed as having a percentage of barley in it you can use 100% Wheat LME. I would use the Hallertau hops and for yeast either 05 or WY1056 or WLP001 for the clean fermentation

Hi All,

I'm trying to recreate an American Wheat from a local Brew Pub and I'm hoping to get some help figuring out how to put together an extract recipe based on what I know about the original. The brew-pub describes the beer as "An American version of the popular South German Style wheat beer brewed with a 70/30 blend of barley and wheat."

A friend that works at the brew-pub talked to the brewmaster and got this "recipe" (this is exactly as written):

- 50/50 2-Row / White Wheat
- 15 IBU's
- Hops @ 60 & 30
- American Ale yeast
- German Hops

Being an extract brewer with only ~ 10 brews under my belt I have a decent idea of what this means, and I think I get the hop and yeast needs, but I'm struggling with what LME or DME and specialty grains I can use to recreate this. I generally do full boil extract.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, including any thoughts on yeast or hops to use. I'm thinking af getting Beer Smith to play around and maybe figure out hop additions, etc to get to the 15 IBUs.

Thanks, Again!

Josh

I used to do one like this:

I do one like this

4 LBS - Alexanders Wheat LME
2 LBS - Wheat DME
1 LBS - Crystal 10 L (Steeped)
.5 Dextrine (optional but I have been very happy with this)
.75 Tettnanger at 60
.25 Tettnanger at 0

Calculations from www.tastybrew.com I have beersmith just not on this PC...
OG 1.048
FG 1.012
IBU 14
ABV 4.6 %
SRM 5

I feel you don't need the Crystal or dextrin at all. There is enough wheat protein in here to give you nice body & head.

And while you could use a end-of-boil hop addition like that for some extra aroma, I would rather do the 60-min, 30-min addition like your brewer friend recommended. 15 IBU for this lite of a beer will be perfect! You want a clean finish, so move the 0-min back to 30, and adjust quantities for IBU... IMHO.

Remember to use a clean ale yeast. I like Notty on my Amer. Wheats as it is clean, clear and dry (crisp). Don't let the ferment get too warm. Keep in the mid-60's or so.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Latest posts

Back