American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrone_mike

Reaction score
So I have done two batches of pure extract batches and want to move on to doing one steeping with specialty grains and then go forward from there. I want to do an american wheat, what would be a good specialty grain to steep with a wheat and pale extract?

That's a style that often doesn't include any specialty malts - I typically don't use any. A little of a lighter crystal would be okay though, like crystal 10 or caravienne. I would keep it to 5% or about 1/2 lb per 5 gallons. You could also try a little honey malt although I would go easy with it. I don't have experience with it but sounds like it's easy to over do it.

Ok thanks! Yea i just want to do something so i can try it. What's a better one to do it with?

Half two row, half wheat, half lb crystal 10.

For the wheat you can go with flaked wheat, or white wheat. I also had luck with German light wheat.

I just brewed a partial mash wheat (blue moon clone) the mash was 2 lbs domestic 2 row, 2lbs white malted wheat and 1/2 lb flaked oats.

Ok thanks! Yea i just want to do something so i can try it. What's a better one to do it with?

porter or stout. any dark beer is going to be better if you have steeping grains instead of just extract. You could do a dunkelweizen, which is a dark wheat beer, if you want to do a wheat beer with some steeping grains.

Back