American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like 1968, but I would mash pretty cool since it can leave a sweet beer.

Those are two of my favorite yeasts for English styles, I use them all the time. Though I don't think either one would make a terribly good American wheat. However, if you are intent on using one of these yeasts, I would probably go with the 1968 and ferment it cool to keep the esters down and reduce diacetyl.

+ 1 on the mashing at lower temp and keeping ferment 63-65F. The 1318 seems to have a slightly higher attenuation range than 1968. That may be more suitable for the style you are intending to brew.

Between those two, I would try the 1318 yeast... Just because I like my American Wheats with plenty of attenuation, and few esters. Clean, dry & refreshing! :)

My stock American Wheat uses 60/40 2-row/wheat blend, with 5% Crystal 15L, 9% honey and Nottingham yeast. It finishes at 1.005 (from 1.050) or so, and is crisp, tasty & refreshing!

Good luck!
-LexusChris

I love 1968 - I use it in most of my ales. For higher gravity beers, I usually sub in some sugar just to keep it dry. It would make a deliciously malty American wheat.

Back