American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthompson

Reaction score
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ingredients:
4lbs - Wheat LME
1lbs - Clover honey
2.5lbs - US 2-row
1lbs - Flaked wheat
estimated OG: 1.054
estimated SRM: 3

Hop schedule:
0.5oz - Sorachi ace, 60min
0.25oz - Sorachi ace, 30min
0.25oz - Sorachi ace, 5min
estimated IBU: 26.8 (at 13.7%AA)

Yeast:
White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale (WLP320)
estimated FG: 1.015 (~5.2%ABV)

Thanks,

I'd leave out all that honey. That is unless you are looking for this beer to be very dry.

Others can correct me, but I dont think you need flaked wheat since you are using Wheat LME. Along with that, is the Wheat LME 100% wheat, or a Wheat/2row mix?

Wheat LME is usually something like 50/50 or 60/40. I'm pretty sure Briess is 60% wheat and 40% 2row. I think wheat DME is available 100% wheat.

*shrug*

I'd also skip the honey but only because I like a little body to my wheat beer and with honey being that much of the fermentables it would be fairly thin/dry I think.

The Wheat extract is 40/60 (from AHS), so I thought the flaked wheat would add more wheat.

I am still debating with myself on what temp. to do the partial mash at...I was thinking a little higher to offset the honey with a little more body. Will that not work? I am fine with sacrificing a little ABV in this respect.

thoughts on this process?

thanks,

yea, I see where you are coming from with the flaked wheat. If you want to keep the same ABV, just increase the wheat LME a bit. Since most of your fermentables are coming from extract, mashing at 150 rather than say 158 will not noticeably add body.

I also recommend dropping the honey. I can't see it matching up well with the Sorachi Ace hops. However, if you have to have it, add about 1/2 lb of Carapils to boost the body and offset the dryness from the honey. I did this with a honey wheat beer with good results.

I just used those Sorachi Ace hops in a pale ale. The samples are very interesting. They have a light citrus flavor, almost lemony/limey. :mug:

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is my second recipe (after 3 alright kits), so I am still a little wet behind the ears with how to create balance and what-not.

I also recommend dropping the honey. However, if you have to have it, add about 1/2 lb of Carapils to boost the body and offset the dryness from the honey. I did this with a honey wheat beer with good results.

I think that's what I am going to have to do. AHS added the honey in the 4lbs of LME, so there's no getting it out now. (I ordered after my original post, you live-you learn :cross:)

Sorachi Ace hops ....They have a light citrus flavor, almost lemony/limey. :mug:

This is why I wanted to use them in this beer. It'll be my first with Sorachi ace, and the description sounded like it would go well in a wheat beer (at least to me). It's starting to get nice out around here, and I am busy outside during spring with all of the beds/yardwork....so I need a beer to go with that.

Thanks again,

Back