American Wheat with Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hello All,

I brewed this last weekend with a few friends. No biggie, no stress, just mash, boil, etc. Thanks to Biermuncher's Litehaus Wheat for the jumping-off point for this recipe.

4# Pale 2-row
3# Malted White Wheat

Mash at 152 F for 60 mins (this fell to about 150 F).

0.5 oz Simcoe 14%AA @ 60 mins
0.5 oz Simcoe 14%AA @ 15 mins

Danstar Munich dry yeast, properly rehydrated.

OG was in the 1.030s after topoff to about 5 gallons. I've never used Simcoe before but the aroma was great. The Munich really took off, vigorous enough fermentation that the star-san in the airlock kept producing a 2" tall column of foam on top of the airlock and I had to keep refilling the damn thing. Really tasty-looking though, fermentation appears to be slowing after only 3-1/2 days in the fermenter.

Sounds good. I like to make my American wheats with all kinds of the good American hops. I usually switch up the finishing hop to experiment a little bit to see what they add different than the last. I'll be interested in what you think of the Simcoe in this kind of beer. It sounds like your fermentation is doing well - mine usually finish out in a few days too.

Yep, this primary is starting to "clear"--I've got a distinct layer of trub and a distinct layer of lazy yeast on the bottom, but the beer is still nice and cloudy. Airlock activity has slowed to a crawl. I'll take a gravity reading in a day or two to see if it's finished.

Great head retention on this brew, absolutely delicious and the simcoe hops give a nice spicy nose to the beer. Plenty of flavor and a nice tartness from the malted wheat and yeast.

I'll try WY3068 next I think, this munich yeast isn't as good as some others I've had.

Back