American Wheat with orange??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bake985

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of an American wheat extract this weekend for my wife. I was thinking about adding some orange and coriander. I am looking for any suggestions for types of oranges (dried, slices, zest, etc) and coriander and also measurements. She loves blue moon type beers. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have used zest and coriander in a couple of my recipes. I'll look it up tonight and send you what I have.

Freshly zested blood orange, mind the pith. Crack the coriander a little with a rolling pin.

Edit - Or any orange yall like. It's your preference. Go ahead and zest the whole orange, at least.

Here's Nilo's info from his blog. He has been contributing heavily to the blue moon clone thread. Gives you an idea of how much orange peel and coriander to use.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxL...jLWE5ZDktMmQ2ODdmMzljNDUz/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Me personally for my American wheat recipe, the grain bill is a spin off of the original blue moon recipe, and I use just under 2/3 the peel of a medium orange (peeled with a vegetable peeler to avoid the pith), and .3oz (I have a reloading scale for stuff like that) of ground coriander.

I just kegged an Orange American Wheat today. I zested 5 blood red oranges and added that to the boil for the last 10 mins or so. I also took the fruit from the 5 oranges and steeped them for about 20 mins in 160 degree water. Kinda made and orange tea out of it. I added this to the wort at flame out. (Just the orange tea, not the fruit). I tasted it today when i kegged it and its a very nice orange forward American Wheat

Back