American wheat in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nixon

Reaction score
I know this may sound weird, but is it perfectly fine to use a secondary fermenter on a wheat beer? I know a wheat beer supposed to be cloudy but will it clear up if I place it on a secondary? Will it change the characteristics of the kind of beer?

I only brew Bavarian Hefeweizen, but it's not normally secondaried - supposed to be cloudy as you mentioned. Unless you're adding something to it, you shouldn't need to secondary IMO.

I know this may sound weird, but is it perfectly fine to use a secondary fermenter on a wheat beer? I know a wheat beer supposed to be cloudy but will it clear up if I place it on a secondary? Will it change the characteristics of the kind of beer?

Yes it will clear.... Eventually. I have bottles in the fridge which I flip upside down, let settle a bit, then pour. Otherwise they are completely clear. Both ways taste good, but definitely different.
I would not use a secondary for plain wheat in general.

Yes it will clear.... Eventually. I have bottles in the fridge which I flip upside down, let settle a bit, then pour. Otherwise they are completely clear. Both ways taste good, but definitely different.
I would not use a secondary for plain wheat in general.

Well, I'm planning on adding a watermelon extract during the bottling phase so it won't be just a plain wheat. I do want a clean looking beer.

It's natural and true to style for a wheat beer to have yeast in suspension, that's the way most of them are in my exp. I brewed a wheat beer recently, and loved the cloudy look it had. It was a 4 week beer, I did two in primary, two in secondary then went to keg....it's been a month in the keg and it's still a bit cloudy but has settled a lot from what it was when I first kegged it. So to make a long story short, it will take quite a while for it to clear. Is there a reason you want it to be clear? I was proud of the cloudiness my wheat had, beer enthusiasts can appreciate it.

Back