American Wheat Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

John Spiegel

Reaction score
Recently brewer an American Wheat Beer. Recipe Below.

Ended up with a slightly lower efficiency that I wanted. Forgot to ask the homebrew shop to double crush. I know my PH ended up being just slightly high as well—about 5.6. Might add some acidulated malt next time to compensate.
First couple pours were aggressive and a bit more bitter than I expected. I thought that maybe I needed to scale back the hops, but after a few days, it mellowed out really nicely. Maybe just some sediment leftover. Light and crisp; great wheat flavor. Almost no orange/citrus aroma like I was hoping for, though. So either I need to add more citrus or change it to perhaps an addition in primary. Thoughts on adding fresh citrus flavor more effectively?
Only other thing I might consider is switching the yeast to something that's more tailored to wheat bears. Maybe SB-06 or K-97? Maybe those yeasts would give it a stronger finish. Right now it tastes great and h as good mouth feel, but disappears almost instantly after you swallow. Thoughts there?

Malt:
5 Lb. 2-row
5 Lb. Wheat
8 Oz. Flaked Corn

Hops:
.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 15 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 15 min
Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 min
1 oz Orange Peels @ 10 min

Yeast:
SafAle S-04

Water Profile:
Ca+2Mg+2Na+Cl-SO4-2HCO3-

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.012

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps replace N brewer with Cascade in second hop addition.

Other citrus hops include; Amarillo, kind of oarngy; Mosaic adds grapefruit hint. If you like lemon, Lemon Drop lives up to its name, I find it kind of strong, so start out with a little unless you want the lemon up front.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I make a mostly American style wheat beer that I really enjoy. I use:
59% wheat
37% 2-row
3% carapils
Centennial
Mittelfruh
Omega Lutra yeast

I flavor with apricot (Ithaca Beer Co. version was my inspiration, and I think it’s close), but it’s good on its own, unflavored. Great beer for the summer months, though i make sure I have some on tap pretty much year round.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
Voss will bring the orange but it needs to be under pitched and fermented at 96* or so. Mine lost that breadyness it gets with BR 97 or Notty. I use Penzy's sweet orange and lemon rind at 10 min left in the boil.