American Wheat/Apricot Yeast trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I am planning to brew an American Wheat with Apricot puree. Cannot decide whether to use Wyeast 1007(German Ale) for more of the wheat side of the beer or to use 1056(American Ale) more of the fruit beer side of things.Anybody have experience with these strains for a american wheat with fruit?

I don't have any experience with 1007, but I wouldn't recommend 1056 for a wheat. I know American wheat can mean a few different things, but if you want any of the banana esters or breadiness that comes in alot of good wheats this won't do it. If you just want to make an American beer with wheat in it you're good to go. I've found 1056 to be a fairly clean fermenting yeast, I use it in pale ales all the time.

the reason i was maybe going to try the 1056 is because its recommended for fruit beer, thats where i am having the trouble deciding where to use a strain more for the wheat or fruit side of the beer. I dont think i really want the traditional banana/clove found in german hefeweizen in this beer, maybe it will let the fruit come out a little more if I use the 1007 German Ale yeast which is recommened for American style wheat.

do you know what temp you fermented the wlp380 at to not get the banana flavors?

do you know what temp you fermented the wlp380 at to not get the banana flavors?

I kept it around 68F for the first few days, then let it get up to 72F. it does have some clove to it tho if ur trying to avoid that as well.

Back