American Pale Recipe with wheat...any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have gotten such amazing advice and input from all the outstanding brewers on here, that I pretty much won't brew without getting some recipe input from here first! Thank you all so much.

Anyways, I have some malts and some cascades laying around..including some wheat...and here is what I came up with. I kind of went with a little of the new fangled "hop bursting" technique adding more hops towards the end of the boil. I will certainly be using US-05 for this.

I will be using a single infusion mash, I was thinking about holding at 153 for 60 minutes, just so it doesn't end up too darned dry. I will then double batch sparge at 170-175 degrees. 4 gallon mash in, dual 2 gallon batch sparges.

roughly 6 gallon boil, down to 5 for final

Brewer: CP Email: -
Beer: American Wheat Pale Style: American Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 37 IBU
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain: 8 lb. American 2-row
2 lb. Wheat malt
8 oz. British amber
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.048 6 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)

It is really tempting for me to throw an ounce of choco and an ouce of roasted barley in just to get a roasty toasty note in this ale..

If you're wanting to hopburst, you should leave out all of your additions prior to 30 minutes. So the goal at that point would be to take whatever you were going to put in a 60 minutes, and figure out how many IBU's it would have contributed. Now...add enough hops in the last 15 minutes or so to equal those IBUs. It's a waste of hops in my opinion.

Back