American pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator777

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an American pale ale and using 2 oz cascade at the beginning of the boil and 1 oz of citra at 55 minutes. Have this beer it's great ,but I want a cleaner more crispy beer at the end Should i use more citra?

That 3oz of hops in the first 5 minutes will only give you a ton of bittering,nuthing more. I'd use .3oz of magnum at the beginning of the boil for bittering,then the cascade at 20 minutes left & the Citra at ten minutes left. you'll get flavor & bittering that way. Otherwise,you'll just get a ton of bittering & boil off all the flavor. I wouldn't waste good flavor hops for that...

Is it extract, partial mash, all grain? Just to be sure that I understand, you're planning on adding the cascade as soon as the boil starts and the citra 55 minutes later? Assuming you're boiling for 60 minutes, your hop additions would be:
2 oz cascade - 60 minutes (start of the boil)
1 oz citra - 5 minutes (55 minutes later)

hop additions are typically represented by the amount of time left in the boil.

That 3oz of hops in the first 5 minutes will only give you a ton of bittering,nuthing more. I'd use .3oz of magnum at the beginning of the boil for bittering,then the cascade at 20 minutes left & the Citra at ten minutes left. you'll get flavor & bittering that way. Otherwise,you'll just get a ton of bittering & boil off all the flavor. I wouldn't waste good flavor hops for that...

Agreed. If you want a 'crisp' american pale, I would move the cascade to 20 minutes remaining and citra to 5 minutes remaining. Pick up an ounce of magnum, warrior or chinook and use .3-.5 oz at the beginning of the boil. You could also only use 1 oz of cascade at the 20 minute mark and then dry hop with the other ounce.

Back