American Light Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevDroz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am at day 7 of my American Light brew and a little nervous as to the final taste. Now normally this extract has a decent hoppy flavor, what I did this time was boil my hops in a muslin bag.

The beer looks great and I think it will clear up nicely but the hops in a muslin bag just have me a bit nervous.

Any input would be appreciated.

-Brewing beer doesn't make me happy, drinking my homebrew makes me happy.

Attachments

• Resized_20200913_111040.jpeg
    Resized_20200913_111040.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Resized_20200913_111032.jpeg
    Resized_20200913_111032.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 29
I’m a little confused as to your question. Are you worried that boiling hops in a bag had a detrimental effect? If so, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m not aware of any negative effects to muslin bag. Would be interested to hear an thoughts to the contrary though.

I suppose what I meant was that I hope the muslin bag doesn't take too much away from the flavor. I have got used to my beer tasting like a light IPA but wouldn't mind a bit of the hop edge being shaved down.

Quite an interesting read. It could appear that I was expecting drastic results. I am learning more and more with each batch I brew.

Thanks for the info!!

When I brewed stove top I used hops bags exclusively...my IPAs were always bitter my lagers always Malt forward.

RDWHAHB

So it is personal preference rather than drastic differences. I have to admit that using the bags did give me a greater comfort level as to how clear the beer could turn out.

Back