American Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it normal for an American Lager Wyeast that is over 1 year old to have a mostly yellow color with a brown streak thru it and what looks like a green stop. This is what I see on top of the lager. It was about 52 degrees now it has settled around 48 degrees. I hope I'm no f'ing it up by opening the fridge. Everytime I do it rocks the carboy because there isn't quite enough room in there. I've only opened it 3 times and will stop because I know I'm suppose to leave it alone. I hope I'm worried over nothing but I really don't want to ruin my first lager with the funk!

Post a pic. That does sound a bit odd, but haven't used that strain. Don't worry about messing up your batch by opening the door. Based upon what you state, it shouldn't be a problem.

Not one of the pics taken with the telephone got emailed to me and there were about 8 of them. I'll have to do this again with a camera and download them to my PC. It will be a few more days.

Back