American IPA Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I'd appreciate input on the hop schedule for the following IPA recipe, since it's a lot more complex than any I've done...heavier on the late additions. I'd particularly like to hear if anyone sees obvious problems with the combination or timing of the hops I've got laid out. Of note, I've got the utilization for the first wort hops listed as 20 min, since I've read a number of times that is the perceived bitterness from a FWH addition.

Thanks.

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]

[size=+2]Recipe: 69 IPA[/size]

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.75 gal

Boil Size: 7.00 gal

Estimated OG: 1.069 SG

Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM

Estimated IBU: 69 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      

13.75 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        94.83 %       

0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        3.45 %        

0.25 lb       Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                     Grain        1.72 %             

0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [7.40 %]  (20 min) (First WoHops         7.0 IBU

0.50 oz       Cascade [5.40 %]  (20 min) (First Wort HopHops         5.1 IBU 

0.35 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (60 min)   Hops         13.9 IBU      

0.35 oz       Chinook [11.20 %]  (60 min)               Hops         11.1 IBU    

0.25 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (20 min)   Hops         6.0 IBU              

0.25 oz       Chinook [11.20 %]  (20 min)               Hops         4.8 IBU

0.25 oz       Amarillo Gold [7.40 %]  (15 min)          Hops         2.6 IBU       

0.25 oz       Cascade [5.40 %]  (15 min)                Hops         1.9 IBU       

0.25 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (10 min)   Hops         3.6 IBU   

0.25 oz       Chinook [11.20 %]  (10 min)               Hops         2.9 IBU       

0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [7.40 %]  (10 min)          Hops         3.8 IBU       

0.50 oz       Cascade [5.40 %]  (10 min)                Hops         2.8 IBU   

0.50 oz       Amarillo Gold [7.40 %]  (5 min)           Hops         2.1 IBU  

0.50 oz       Cascade [5.40 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.5 IBU       

1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [7.40 %]  (0 min) (Aroma HopHops          -            

1.00 oz       Cascade [5.40 %]  (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops          -            

1 Pkgs        California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)       Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb

Code:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     

60 min        Mash In            Add 18.13 qt of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F

Notes:

I don't see anything dramatically "wrong" here. This is going to be a very hoppy beer. If that is what you are aiming for, then this is fine.

One thing I would question is the range of hops. You are using multiple additions of 4 hops, but only 3 grains. With such a simple grain bill (which I like a lot, BTW; too many grains too often winds up tasting muddy to me), I wonder if you might be better served with just 1 or 2 hop varieties. My personal preference would be to use the Cascade, or switch to a "Noble" hop, but increase the usage to hit the same IBU's.

I don't know why people keep having this confusion - FWH provides BITTERNESS that is greater than a typical 60 min addition, while providing FLAVOR/AROMA similar to a 20min addition.

I don't know why people keep having this confusion - FWH provides BITTERNESS that is greater than a typical 60 min addition, while providing FLAVOR/AROMA similar to a 20min addition.

There's no doubt that the measured IBUs are higher than a 60 minute addition, but a number of people such as Denny Conn and others (whose palates I've got to respect!) state that the the "perceived" bitterness is smoother and similar to that of a 20 minute IBU addition. Since it's all about perception, it seems reasonable to treat is as a 20 min addition.

NOTE: I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I've read written by experienced brewers/tasters.

I don't see anything dramatically "wrong" here. This is going to be a very hoppy beer. If that is what you are aiming for, then this is fine.

One thing I would question is the range of hops. You are using multiple additions of 4 hops, but only 3 grains. With such a simple grain bill (which I like a lot, BTW; too many grains too often winds up tasting muddy to me), I wonder if you might be better served with just 1 or 2 hop varieties. My personal preference would be to use the Cascade, or switch to a "Noble" hop, but increase the usage to hit the same IBU's.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'm going for a very hoppy beer and am looking for a complex hop profile (a la Green Flash WC IPA, etc). This is partly the reason I've laid out a simple grain bill, though I think there's enough there to provide a background for the hops.

Maybe I'll simplify a little by dropping the Columbus and go with Chinook, Amarillo and Cascade. I want to keep a little piney in it, but don't want it to dominate, so maybe I'll make up for the lost IBUs from the Columbus by bumping the Cascade.

Latest posts

Back