American Homebrewers Association?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Is anybody here a member of the AHA? http://www.brewersassociation.org/

I was looking at tickets for the 2014 GABF and there was a Saturday afternoon members only meeting for members of the AHA. On the GABF site it also said, "One of the best benefits of being an American Homebrewers Association member is using your membership card to get discounts at breweries, brewpubs, and better beer bars across the country through AHA Member Deals."

Is this actually true, and has anyone actually had success with this?

Also, even outside of this potentially exciting aspect, would those of you who have knowledge recommend membership?

I recommend it. They advocate for home brewing legislature. They run the NHBC. You get Zymurgy magazine. Many home-brew shops and brew pubs offer discounts to members (Northern Brewer is my LHBS and they give 10% off). Their website lists all the current member deals.

If you listen to the Brewing Network or Basic Brewing Radio, you can go to one of their websites and click on the click to become an AHA member. Then the AHA pays them a cut, so you end up supporting multiple organizations/people at once.

I am a member - I recommend. The magazine and the legislative support is worth it all by itself in my opinion. The other stuff is all great and above and beyond. You do get discounts - especially at homebrew stores - Could make up your membership just doing that probably. Lots of stuff on their website too, and you can get access to all of the past issues on line.

I am a member too. Didn't join when I first started brewing nearly 3 years ago, but joined up lt year. A couple of homebrew shops started asking to see if you were a current member for the 10% discount, plus the Zymurgy magazine is worth it. I have only used the discount at bars/breweries a couple of times, but that 10% adds up pretty quickly if you frequent any estalishments that homor it. Do it, it is worth it.

amcclai7 said:
Is anybody here a member of the AHA? http://www.brewersassociation.org/

I was looking at tickets for the 2014 GABF and there was a Saturday afternoon members only meeting for members of the AHA. On the GABF site it also said, "One of the best benefits of being an American Homebrewers Association member is using your membership card to get discounts at breweries, brewpubs, and better beer bars across the country through AHA Member Deals."

Is this actually true, and has anyone actually had success with this?

Also, even outside of this potentially exciting aspect, would those of you who have knowledge recommend membership?

AHA membership is worth it just for any one of the benefits: Zymurgy, GABF special events, the pub discounts. Add to that all of the good that they do for home brewers and you really can't go wrong. If you can afford it and you think you'll stick with the hobby, consider the lifetime membership. It is definitely worth it.

I support the AHA. Some of the things benefit me personally (Zymurgy, discounts at some pubs, tickets for the NHC) but most don't. I don't have many local places to use my AHA card, especially. (like, none).

But the AHA has been a driving force in helping to make homebrewing legal in all 50 states (finally!) and helping to change archaic laws still on the books. They work to raise awareness of the hobby. There is power in numbers, and the more members there are the more they can lobby for all homebrewers.

The cost is going up Jan 1, I understand, so sign up now!

If you sign up now on the website, for $38 you get a one year membership plus a book of your choice. I think you can find other discounted memberships at some homebrew stores and now is the time to join if you're thinking about it!

Thanks for all the replies. Are the book you get to choose from good? If so, would you recommend one yooper?

I am a member, attend the Sat. GABF, love the magazine. It is important that someone advocates for homebrewers, listen to the podcast on the MS legislature debates on homebrewing, it is scary how we are perceived by legislators.

This hobby could easily go away if we aren't protected by someone, this group is the "someone."

That link you referenced is for something else. The AHA is http://www.homebrewersassociation.org <-here. Like others, I am a member and like Zymurgy for the articles. Haven't made it to GABF, but am thinking of it.

The link I provided was the one provided on the GABF website and I was a little confused by it. Thanks for clearing that up. Also, thanks for the link to store, Yooper.

I am a member. Zymurgy is a great magazine plus my LHBS gives me 10% off for being an AHA member. That alone pays for the membership.

Back