American Homebrew Association Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently participated in a homebrew competition ran by the American Homebrew Association and took second place in two separate categories. This was the first time I have eneter my beer in any competition. Today, I received 2 medals in the mail. I was wondering if everyone who participates in an American Homebrew Association Competition receives a medal? Are these medals just participatiton medals, or did I receive these medals because my beers placed? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Congrats on the medals. Most comps award ribbons or medals for 1st through 3rd places in each category and sometimes an overall Best of Show prize chosen from the winners of each category. There are rarely "Participation Trophies" in homebrew comps. This isn't t-ball :D

Hello,

I recently participated in a homebrew competition ran by the American Homebrew Association and took second place in two separate categories. This was the first time I have eneter my beer in any competition. Today, I received 2 medals in the mail. I was wondering if everyone who participates in an American Homebrew Association Competition receives a medal? Are these medals just participatiton medals, or did I receive these medals because my beers placed? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Not everyone gets a medal. I'm not sure how the AHA does it, but there are two ways they are commonly handed out. Either reaching a minimum score, or being in the top x of the entries (Like top 3 entries).

What were your scores?

Hello,

So I assumed you medaled in the 1st round and your beers are going to the NHC this week? What styles of beer? Congrats!!

They hand out ribbons for the first round. Medals for the final. So I'm wondering if the OP is actually talking about NHC.

Except winners aren't announced until the NHC......which I believe is this week in Baltimore

Sorry for the confusion guys. The AHA homebrew contest I participated in I found on their website. The AHA contest I participated in was just a small local contest, it only had a total of 20 entries over 4 different categories. It was not one of AHA major/big homebrew competitions.

Sorry for the confusion guys. The AHA homebrew contest I participated in I found on their website. The AHA contest I participated in was just a small local contest, it only had a total of 20 entries over 4 different categories. It was not one of AHA major/big homebrew competitions.

Well congrats none the less!! I am sure the medals were for brewing a great beer. Never entered a comp that gave out "participation" medals. A few will give out participation ribbons or certificates.

Back