American Brown Ale Temperature concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Hey all, I just made an American Brown ale lastnight, I forget the Wyeast number. I pitched the yeast about 77 degrees. It was a slap pack, I popped the day before brew. The wort has risen in temp above what my tape on thermometer can read. How hot is too hot with this yeast? I just did a Saison, and couldn't get it Hot enough. Basement stays about 75 constant this time of year. Is this still too warm? Should I resort to trying to cool it Off? Its over 80 on the temp now, and its Bubbling like mad. No weird smells from Airlock as of yet... I'm pretty relaxed, only slightly worried and wishing I Was drinking a homebrew, but I'm at work.

Ya, try to bring your temps down some. Do a search for a swamp cooler. Basically stick it in a tub of water with a tshirt over it to wick up the water. Blow a fan on it if possible.

Any off flavors have probably already developed. The first couple days of fermentation are the most critical.

+1 on the swamp cooler. Old tub full of cool water, old black tee shirt, and an old box fan on low gave me a 10 degree drop from room temperature for my last batch. Water bath was 62 while the basement was 72.

Be sure to read Revvy's blog before you worry too much about the effect of one day of heat. About the fourth entry down.

That is the first I'm hearing about the tub/shirt thing. Pretty cool idea. Works basically like a radiator in a car then. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work. Thanks for your help.

Here is a good setup to control temperature, thermometer on the right is for water and the one on the left is monitoring the wort.This batch was done today, wanted to keep temperature between 59-62, but forgot to put freezer packs into the freezer.

200_0011.jpg

200_0013.jpg

200_0019.jpg

200_0018.jpg

Latest posts

Back