American black and tan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUBrewing

Reaction score
What are anyone's thoughts on an American style Black and Tan. Like a hoppy american stout and and maybe an apa? I just was thinking about earlier and was wondering if anyone tried before or if I'm onto an original idea.

When I had my 4 tap kegerator (1 nitro) I tried every beer I put on nitro layered with the other three I had on tap. Over the course of trying probably 30+ combos, I found that about 20% were awesome, 10% were undrinkable (but I still drank them, I don't waste beer), and 70% were pretty good to ok. Usually mixing one really bitter or a more extreme flavor profile with a more docile style worked the best. I had a Roggenbier on the nitrogen and layered it with a black imperial IPA and it was outstanding! However, once the roggenbier kicked, I had an RIS on the nitro and it layered terribly with a Belgian trippel, but was really good with a cali common. It was a lot of fun trying all of them though. :D

I have tried a few combinations but I always go back to Guiness and Bass, I like the traditional in this asspect.

Back