American Barleywine Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhog

Reaction score
I am looking at brewing a barleywine tomorrow. 1.106 OG estimate. Since i obviusly plan on aging this brew for over a year, would 8oz of hops be too much? 2oz 14% magnum 60 minutes, 2 oz 10% centennial 10 minutes, 1 oz centennial 5 minutes, and 2 oz cascade and 1oz of centennial at flame out. Beersmith estimate is about 95 ibu. I figure that there will be enough flavor and aroma even after aging. Should i shoot for more bitterness or drop the additional 2 oz of centennial and save them for another brew?

Depends on the recipe and how long you plan on keeping it around. I wouldn't be too worried about getting enough bitterness in there. With the magnum and centennial at 10 min, you're getting there. The longer you age the beer, the more the hops, bitterness, flavor and aroma, are going to drop out. Better to start out with too much and end up with a nice beer in two years than good now but too malty a year from now. A beer this big should age for at least a year before it really starts to mellow out.

What's the malt bill?

1.00 lb Dried Rice Extract (7.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5.19 %
15.25 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 79.22 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.19 %
Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.106
Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.45 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 % Bitterness: 94.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint

I'm still not too sure about the rice and corn sugar but it's a quick fix on the gravity. Should i just make the trip to the brew shop and pick up the extra grain or some extract instead. Thanks for the help.

The rice and corn sugar will help dry the beer out, especially with all that caravienne and caramunich.

So I should be Ok then? I got the ingredients at morebeer in Riverside. I got their recipe and substituted the 2row for Marris Otter and changed the hops from what they had listed for their recipe. Rob recommended the rice extract to give it an extra kick. This is only my 5th or 6th all grain batch so i'm still learning the ropes. If the the cara malts are adding too much sweetness, i might just raist the 2oz of centennial to 15 instead of 10 minutes. What would you suggest? :mug:

One more thing since you are only in torrance if this turns out worthy, I will definitely bottle some for you. :rockin:

You'll need lots of yeast for a beer that big. I hope you're not planning to just pitch one vial/smack pack. If you have any sort of beer fermenting like a pale ale or something else like that I'd use the entire yeast cake for this beer.

I have a 2 liter starter sitting in the fridge. I made it on Saturday and got about a 1/2 to an inch or so of yeast sitting at the bottom. I plan on dumping the spent wort and only pitching the cake. I used Mr.Malty's calculator and i hope i have the necessary cells. I don't know how much i read on the topic before even buying the ingredients.

Back