American Amber conversion to all grain from extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrock74

Reaction score
I just made the jump to all grain brewing from extract. I brewed a kit from Brewers Best that I really enjoyed and want to convert it to an all grain recipe but am not quite sure how to do it and am looking for some help. The recipe is as follows.

American Amber
3.3 lbs Amber LME
3 lbs Amber DME
1 lb Crystal 80
1.25 oz Williamette 60 min
.5 oz Williamette 5 min
Nottingham dry yeast

I didn't know if just switching the extract to 2row would work and if so how much and would I need more Crystal?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I use 2 row, munich, crystal 10 & 60, and a little Carafa II in my amber.

You could try my amber recipe (on the pull down under my name) with your hop additions. I'd up the 60 min addition to 1.5 oz. It's on the dark end of the amber style, but you could half the carafa if you want it a bit lighter. I've used Nottingham with it, but I prefer it US-05.

Nrock- how long did you ferment the amber in primary/secondary, and did you use any fining agents? I'm using the same extract kit, I just moved to 2ndary after two weeks and it smelled delicious.

I also have 5g of koelsch in bottles, should be ready in a few days.

Stiritup-I did two weeks in the primary, two in the secondary, no fining agents. Between my brother in law and I we have done 5 batches of this brew and everyone has been awsome!!! They have been carbed perfectly in two weeks in the bottle.

LME is ~37 points per pound and DME is ~45. Your extract recipe has about 257 gravity points from extract. Base grains have ~37 points per pound at 100% efficiency. If you target 70% efficiency, you will get 26 points per pound from the grain. Dividing 257 by 26, you will need ten pounds of base grain.

Leave the Crystal 80L and hops the same. Check your color (original looks like about 18 SRM, which seems pretty dark for an amber, to me) and add some 60L if you think you need it. I would play with 8 lbs two row, two lbs Munich, and 8 oz 60L to start with. I'd keep some extract on hand in case efficiency is low on a first all-grain.

Back