Amber wheat...anybody tried it...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeeight

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm considering messing around with something which combines my favorite elements of an amber ale (biscuity, bready malt) with a significant amount of wheat in the grist-probably 40-50% of the base malt.

I suspect someone here has tried something like this and maybe be able to offer tips and thoughts...

Why not just a dunkelweizen?

That's essentially what it is. The lower end of the dunkelweizen color spectrum is 14.0SRM, which is the upper end of the amber color spectrum.

To the OP, I'd say go 50% wheat malt (go Belgian), 40% Pilsner, 5% Chocolate Malt and 5% Munich Malt

Hi all,
I'm considering messing around with something which combines my favorite elements of an amber ale (biscuity, bready malt) with a significant amount of wheat in the grist-probably 40-50% of the base malt.

I suspect someone here has tried something like this and maybe be able to offer tips and thoughts...
I currently have this in my fermenter: 12 SRM, 16 IBU, 40% wheat, 15% 60L crystal, & the balance 2-row. I used Nottingham yeast. My hydro sample tasted great.

I thought dunkelweizens had to be "dark" but I ordered a new one a few months back at the local brew pub and it did indeed appear more "amber" than dark. Was delicious.

Back