Amber Recipe - help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itchygomey

Reaction score
Please lend your advice on the following recipe- (Trying to put together my first recipe)
5.75 Gal Boil to hopefully arrive at 5 gals into the primary

7 Lbs Briess Gold Unhopped LME
14 oz Caramel 10L
7 oz Caramel 60L
1.8 Oz Belgian Debittered Black malt
7 Oz brown Sugar
.6 Oz Centennial Pellets - 25 Mins
1 Oz Amarillo Pellets - 5 Mins

Either American Ale II Wyeast 1272 or US-05

At first I thought it would be too dark. But when I plugged in numbers you are okay there.

However, I calculate your IBUs at 24. If you are doing a late extract edition, your IBUs will be higher than what I calculate. If you aren't, it will be on the malty side of ambers. If you want it on the hoppy side, take it up to 35 - 40.

I think you can bitter a little stronger than that. I would add maybe .5oz of whatever you like for bittering for 60mins, unless you want it pretty smooth then I would just shift the Centennial to 60mins.

Oh yea - I am doing late extract addition. 1 Lbs at start and remainder at flame out. Sorry about the confusion. Do you think I would benefit one way or the other regarding yeast?

If I do that and up my centennial time to 40 mins I come up with 37.4 IBU - is that correct?

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back. I've been traveling a lot.

I calculate 33 IBUs. But that could be a difference in assumed AA for the hops.

No problem. It's currently in the primary with a little different schedule.

.2oz centennial 21 mins
.3oz Amarillo 21 mins

.8oz centennial 5 mins
1oz Amarillo 5 mins

This is with 1 lb LME at beginning of boil (4.5 gallons)
6lbs 3oz DME and 1 gallon water added at flameout.

Hopefully I got the hops right (32 ibu I believe.
I'm pretty happy that I nailed my target OG of 1.057

It's the first recipe I've made outside of a kit.

Good luck with it. I hope it turns out to your liking.

Making recipes is fun. I altered my second beer (a kit) and third beer (a recipe) and went on to writing my own recipes from there. It's a risk vs. reward thing. Sometimes they are fabulous. Sometimes they are not as good as you hoped. Sometimes you look back at a recipe and think "That's not an IRA, it's a Brown Ale."

I want to move to AG, but getting Away from kits, making and understanding recipes, and hitting targets (temp, gravity, etc) seems like the best way to progress naturally. I'm enjoying the process too.

That's what I did. Extract to a partial mash BIAB process to all grain.

I didn't want to switch to all grain until my daughter was old enough to gain some independence. That was 3 years ago. Until then I was doing late night brews in the kitchen.

Back