Amber Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
This is a morebeer kit that was hinted to be a Sam Adams clone. It doesn't seem to be very amber or Sam Adamsish in the hop department. It's fairly hoppy, which is fine with me. Should I tweak it or let it be? It's my first Lager and I want it to be tasty!:mug:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
2.00 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [StarterYeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

I brewed this one 011609. Havent tasted it yet as it's still lagering but when I transfered to secondary I took a big 'ol whiff. The hop aroma was crazy. Based on that I'd say leave it be.

I brewed this one 011609. Havent tasted it yet as it's still lagering but when I transfered to secondary I took a big 'ol whiff. The hop aroma was crazy. Based on that I'd say leave it be.

What do you mean you haven't tasted it yet!! If you transfered it you should have tasted it. Shame on you, bad brewer. ;)

What do you mean you haven't tasted it yet!! If you transfered it you should have tasted it. Shame on you, bad brewer. ;)
Yes did have a taste. The flavor matched the over the top hop aroma. My opinion is go with what you got with the kit

Back