Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan83865

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has ever brewed any of the recipes that show up the Great Lakes Brewing News that you can pick up for free at beer stores and your LHBS? I was looking at the Amber Ale recipe in the October/November issue:

Batch Size = 5 gal
OG = 1.060
FG = 1.017
IBU's = 32

9# pale malt
2# Biscuit malt
1# Caramel 30
1.5# Caramel 60

.5 oz Warrior (75 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
3 oz Cascade (0 min)
3 oz Centennial (0 min)

Mash at 153 deg and boil for 75 min.

I'm not the best yet at being able to evaluate a recipe, so I'm wondering what others think about this recipe? It seemed like quite a bit of hops, but then again, that's why I'm looking for opinions from others on what to expect before I decide to buy the ingredients. Thanks!

Looks good to me. I like my ambers thick Carmely and hoppy. Seems like maybe too much crystal malt. I prefer a touch of roasted malt for color adjustment, but this might be better.

Ya better like hops.
I'm no expert but that much hop on the back end your gonna taste it

There are some tweaks I'd do to that recipe to make it more rich and deep in malt color and flavor (with less, but darker, crystal malts; maybe 1# each of C60L and C120L) and more aggressively bitter (instead of boring ol' Magnum, I'd go with 2oz Nugget split between 60, 15 and 5 min adds), but the biggest simple change I'd make is to take 1oz each of the 0 min Cascade and Centennial and dry-hop with them (dry hop everything I can, also how I roll).

Back