Amber ale future brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Amber ale future brew:

Tell me wht you guys think

6lbs light malt extract

6 oz Crystal 80 [steeped]
2 oz Hugh Baird British Crystal 135-165 [steeped]
4 oz Melanoidin [steeped]*
2 oz American 2-Row [steeped]*
2 oz Roasted Barley [steeped]

2lbs honey at 0 min boil

Simcone bittering hops
Birtish Fuggles aroma hops

*I know Melanoidin malt is usually a must mash, but I like the color it gives off so I will add a bit of 2-row to help it when steeping.

i cant give too much input other than the roasted barley. it may be just me, but even the slight hint of coffee flavor/color 2oz of it will produce doesnt seem very tasty to me in a amber ale.

Personally, I prefer to use no more than 1oz of black patent, chocolate, or roasted barley, carafa or whatever in an amber and make up the difference in color elsewhere (dark caramel or brown, amber, victory, special roast, et al.). I feel that I get a deeper and more complex malt flavor that way.

I think 2 oz should be alright, but I kind of like the hint of coffee touch it can lend to an amber.
Have you considered just switching it to a partial mash?
I'm curious as to how the honey will play in, you've got me thinking, a honey amber might be really nice.

UPDATE:

I have tweeked the recipe a bit and have subbed nugget for simcone hops.

6lbs Gold malt extract (LME)

6 oz Crystal 80 [steeped]
2 oz Hugh Baird British Crystal 135-165 [steeped]
4 oz Melanoidin [steeped]
2 oz Special B[steeped]
1 oz Roasted Barley [steeped]

2lbs honey at 0 min boil

I have decided to use the following hops:

.50 Oz Nugget Hops at 60 min 13.3 AAU's

and

1.0 oz British Fuggles hops at 5.0 min 4.2 AAU's

Do you think it will make the wort too bitter ? I could always add a bit less of the nugget.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch and pellet hops, I get an OG of 1.065 and 29.4 IBUs using the Tinseth method. The IBUs might be low for that OG, but it depends on what you're going for.

Assuming a 5 gallon batch and pellet hops, I get an OG of 1.065 and 29.4 IBUs using the Tinseth method. The IBUs might be low for that OG, but it depends on what you're going for.

Given the high [13.3] Au's in the bittering hops I thought the opposite actually.

I will be brewing this batch quite soon and I was a bit concerned about the AAU's in the bittering hops. I would have prefered Galena, but I hear good things about nugget.

I can taste some of the sweet wort, but waiting until its finished to guage the real bitterness vs maltiness balance will like drive me insane. :mad:

If 29.4 IBUs is what you're looking for, you'll be fine. A figure that is commonly used is the bitterness to gravity ratio. You take your IBUs (29.4) and divide by your gravity points (65).

29.4/65 = .45

After this batch, you'll be able to adjust that based on your tastes.

Back