Amber ale fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been brewing for a while and have had a few beers that came out hazy, but never anything like this. After about ten days in primary I checked the possible FG 1.01 which is about what I was expecting, what I didn't expect was that it would look like mango juice...
Anyone have an idea what the cause could be?
It was fermented using a plain ale yeast that usually gives me beers I can read through...

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_155904_599.jpg
    IMG_20180122_155904_599.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 85
That's definitely weird. Did you add a lot of dry hops or use flaked oats or flaked wheat in the recipe? What yeast did you use, maybe a low flocculating one? Can you cold crash the beer as that may clear it?

I did an APA recipe that I have used for years that did something very similar. It was in my ferm cabinet, and i had not looked at it for ten days and when I did it looked a lot like that - In fact it made me think of a lava lamp. Circumstances prevented me from messing with it, so it ended up shut away and forgotten for a couple more weeks. By then it had cleared right up and all seemed normal. I racked it to the keg, carbed, and it drank like normal. I still have no clue what caused it, and i have done that beer maybe 10-11 times total. Never saw it before or since. Always used US-05. SO maybe another week or two and it will change? Sometimes ignore it and it will go away actually works!

Yeah like gunhaus said, I would wait another 2/3 weeks and forget about it, maybe it will clear up. No idea what would cause that though, unless you had a large amount of wheat or something in your grain bill.
If the beer still hasnt cleared by that time, give it a week long cold crash and try using some gelatin. If it STILL hasn’t cleared after that, I guess just go ahead and bottle/ keg it as you usually do and see how it goes. Don’t give up on it though! Im sure it will clear.

I also used US-05, no wheat or oats, 1/2 lb of rice was the only "strange" non barley malt in the mash.
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a few weeks and cold crash.

Fermentation is not under your control. All you can do it provide the right conditions for the yeast to do the job. Sometimes they are fast, finish the job quickly, and your beer is cleared at day 10. Sometimes they might be a lot slower and take 3 weeks to be done and let the beer clear.

One of the big factors in how quickly the beer clears is fermentation temperature schedule. With it being winter time you may inadvertently be fermenting a few degrees cooler than normal and that will slow everything down. My beers start fermenting in the low 60's for 4 to 7 days, then warmed to 72 until I bottle. That seems to clear them out fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back