Amazing Hop Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
Hi all! So last year I planted 4 rhizomes- Cascade, Centennial, Sterling and Mt. Hood. The Sterling and Mt. Hood got to much water and never did anything, in fact I took them out of the ground because they were so soggy. I got about 2 ounces of Cascade hops and no Centennial.
For some reason the ditch I planted the rhizomes in flooded this year after 9 years of wet winters this never happened before. So now my rhizomes are under about a foot of sand and mud. I figured they were toast so I dug them up to find them completely soaked and falling apart.
THEN in the beginning of May, I just happened to look down there and what did I see? A CRAP LOAD OF HOP SHOOTS ABOUT 2 TO 3 FEET TALL!!! WTF!!! So even after the flood and the foot of sand and me ripping the rhizomes out of the ground Im gonna have a second year harvest. Amazing.:rockin::cross:

Nice.

I'm planting for the first time this week, so an encouraging story.

Cheers,
:mug:

i hear that once the roots are established it almost takes an act of god to get rid of them...i planted two rhisomes of centennials last year that did nothing on the surface...well the each put out shoots that made it about three inches and then quickly died back. i thought they were goners, but was suprised to see this year they are both already over three feet tall and growing quickly. these are amaizing plants.

Latest posts

Back