Amarillo Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
So here's the starting point for my next brew. Looking for a session IPA with lots of hop aroma and flavor, but not too much bitterness. According to Beersmith, the ingredients below will result in 4.5% ABV, 41.4 IBUs, and 6.2 SRM. 5.5 gallon recipe.

1 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 1 20.0 %
4 lbs Light Liquid Extract (6.0 SRM) Extract 2 53.3 %
2 lbs Light Liquid Extract (6.0 SRM) Extract 3 26.7 %
0.50 oz Magnum [12.10 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 4 17.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 14.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 10.3 IBUs
6.60 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.50 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

I'm not sure about the amount of the maltodextrine, but am adding it to avoid having the beer be too thin.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been doing hop stands between 175F-180F with the zero minute addition. Then dry hopping with 3-4oz. I am drinking an Amarillo pale right now, closer to 5.5% ABV.

Drop the MD it doesn't add taste, but makes FG higher. Since it is an extract batch, I'd recommend adding some sugar to help the FG come down. Maybe 12 ozs of sugar.

Steep a half lb of crystal (maybe C40) to give some extra flavor.

I'm no expert and taste is personal. I like my IPAs (even session IPAs) dry. Maybe you prefer them sweet; the MD will do that for you.

Would adding some maltodextrine (to avoid a thin beer) and sugar (to get a drier beer) work, or would they sort of cancel each other out?

Go with everything that Calder said. One of the main advantages of Session IPAs is their extremely high level of drinkability due to their high level of dryness, low alcohol, and mild/smooth hop bitterness.

Maltodextrine is completely unnecessary for an Extract IPA. You will have no issues with body. The extract already contains a portion of carapils and was likely mashed around 154 F by the maltster. Extract ales already finish several points higher than their PM or AG counterparts; there is no reason to add to this limitation. A session IPA should really be no higher than 1.015 FG IMO... the lower you can get, the better.

Ok, got it. Brew day is likely next Wednesday, and I'll let you all know the final recipe and how everything turned out.

Back